Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Taurus, Vulcan motor and Axoed Trans. I have decided to build it the best it can be, since my credit will not allow me to buy another car. I need to know if I can put in a 24 V DOHC Duatec or 99 SHO motor, as well as run dual exaust. I need to replace the transmission as well. Any advice would be helpful.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Link

The answer is a complicated yes, but read through this whole thread to understand what an engine swap would involve.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a 2000 Taurus, Vulcan motor and Axoed Trans. I have decided to build it the best it can be, since my credit will not allow me to buy another car. I need to know if I can put in a 24 V DOHC Duatec or 99 SHO motor, as well as run dual exaust. I need to replace the transmission as well. Any advice would be helpful.
[/b]
If you get a duratec, buy new magna-flow Y pipes and since you are rebuilding your tranny, go to SHOSOURCE and buy one of their torque converters.
If you get an SHO motor then you need to weld the cams.
Another Cheap mod would be to get new gauge faces from SHOSource which are like $50.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
FWIW, i have a 99 taurus that originally had the vulcan engine. I swapped in the 'tec and the AX4N tranny. I'm a mechanic working in a ford shop. It was a LOT of work, and money, and headache to get it going properly. I'd never do it again, nor do i recommend anyone else do it. Like you, i couldn't sell the car at the time, so i decided to spend some money on it. I'd suggest you just do some minor things to it to make it more fun to drive - namely, start by getting a good tune. I wouldn't do the engine swap, as it will cost you a lot of cash and headaches to get it done, and you'd be surprised at how many other parts you'll need to change to get it done. It's honestly not worth the effort. Just wait until you can buy a car with the engine you want. There are many threads about doing the vulcan to 'tec swap, and in a couple of them, i've listed as many of the things i had to replace as i could remember. If you do some searching, you should be able to find those threads, cuz i don't feel like typing it all out again.. sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts