Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a 2003 motor and tranny in a 2000 taurus SE, if you try to start the car the security light comes on and nothing happens, I am using the computer from the 03. If I put the original computer from the 2000, the car start right up and runs good but the car will not charge. Can I reprogram the 03 computer to work in an 00? Thanks for any ifo you may have.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
You realize that if you put the 2003 ECU in, you have to have the Security keys from your 2000 programmed into the 2003 ECU, right? The systems should be the same, but if you ECU doesn't know your 2003 keys, you're out of luck. Probably the simplest is to drive the car to the dealership with the 2000 ECU and a fully charged battery, then put in the 2003 ECU and ask them to program the keys in.

Your other option is to ship the 2003 ecu to American Motorsport (see the EEC forum) and have him just disable the security.

-Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan, appreciate it, my first experience with a Taurus, usually deal with GM's and we just use a scan tool to reset the security codes turn the key on and off a few times and we are good to go, thanks, Mark.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Yeah, with the forc PCM, you need at least two working keys to program extra keys on your own. Without two keys, the dealership has to go connect to the PCM and program the keys in for you.

-Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts