Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford Manual says change the Transmission Fluid every 30K.

I have a 2000 Taurus with 233K and Duratec engine, my last service was 4 years ago @ 193K. Firestone and Tires Plus refuses to touch it and and now 2 Ford dealers refuse to touch it. They are scared something might go wrong after a flush or the tranny will go out

Now the main reason I hear of Taurus transmissions going out is due to people not changing the fluid in them. I explained to the dealer I have always changed the fluid every 35-40K miles per the manual and that the fluid is currently burgandy the way it is supposed to be, the car chifts fine, and there is no burnt smell. They tell me to keep driving on it since there are no problems.

My question is since its been 39K miles since i have changed this fluid, do I just keep driving on it until I burn out the transmission due to not changing the fluid, or should I attempt to drain out some of the old fluid and add new fluid.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Have you always had it flushed or just drained? I would do a drop and swap. Replace filter and thoroughly clean magnet and pan as well. Buy 8-9 quarts of Mercon V (nothing but mercon V). My original trans from previous owner started slipping and failing at 170k, PO maintaned it but neglected the trans fluid. It was flushed and then inoperable soon after

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Ford Manual says change the Transmission Fluid every 30K.

I have a 2000 Taurus with 233K and Duratec engine, my last service was 4 years ago @ 193K. Firestone and Tires Plus refuses to touch it and and now 2 Ford dealers refuse to touch it. They are scared something might go wrong after a flush or the tranny will go out

Now the main reason I hear of Taurus transmissions going out is due to people not changing the fluid in them. I explained to the dealer I have always changed the fluid every 35-40K miles per the manual and that the fluid is currently burgandy the way it is supposed to be, the car chifts fine, and there is no burnt smell. They tell me to keep driving on it since there are no problems.

My question is since its been 39K miles since i have changed this fluid, do I just keep driving on it until I burn out the transmission due to not changing the fluid, or should I attempt to drain out some of the old fluid and add new fluid.
There is a reason they do not want to flush. It is dangerous.
Drain and refill is fine. Exchange fluid is what Ford recs from day #1.
They also rec changing the filter at 150K miles. Does no harm to do it at 100K.

-chart-

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ya shocker huh, I was thinking that too...oh well flush and you're SOL.

I have heard for years now flushing a tranny is playing Russian roulette with 4 out of the 6 chambers loaded. It's happened to me on a low mileage Buick Century, flush...detonate...rebuild...detonate. My Mom and Dad had 2 trannies put into it one under GM warranty, one after, and I did one. With nowhere near even 100k miles on it.

POS and another Buick LeSabre FWD, same thing.

Hence my hatred of GM's. Rather 2 faced of me, it's not like I haven't gone through Ford Taurus auto-box trannies like I change my underwear, and i hardly run them down the 1/4 mile...LOL I'd be too embarrassed to. Way past the age of lets see if I can smoke the tires on a Taurus.:lol2:
Cross my fingers this 99 with the AX4N and 226,000kms on it performs very well. Local Ford dealer when I was looking for Mercon V said the AX4N is one very tough transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Try and find an indy to do it. There's no good reason to take it to the dealer. How much did they normally charge for a flush anyway? Mercon V can be had at Walmart for $4.27 a quart and the filter is about $15 or so after a coupon code at Advance Auto. Pan drop should be fine, that's what I've done over the years and I'm up to 201k.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Cross my fingers this 99 with the AX4N and 226,000kms on it performs very well. Local Ford dealer when I was looking for Mercon V said the AX4N is one very tough transmission.
:rofl:

Did they say that with a straight face or did the auto trans tech in the background fall to the ground laughing hysterically when the service advisor said this?

No - the AX4N is NOT a tough transmission. Like many front wheel drive transmissions, they may or may not make it past 100K or 150K before needing rebuild. Yes some people get past that, but if the junkyard is any indicator...
The original FWD LeSabre had a tough transmission (the one from the late 80s). And their badge engineered counterpart. Many of those regularly saw 200K miles+ service. My Granddad drove an 89 LeSabre from brand new up to 296K miles before he decided to buy a brand new 95. And drove that to 267K.

The 86-07 Taurus was designed for a service life of 10 years/150k, then dispose of it. I read this in one of the books about the original Taurus. That was Fords idea.

Anyways, drop pan, change fluid and put a new filter in. Refill and go. :)

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Yep, I'm wondering if I will make it to 150k on the trans. It's a clunky junkbox.

·
Registered
250 Posts
LMAO just passing on what was said to me on the phone. I did think I heard the sounds of a few people choking back laughter

·
Registered
250 Posts
Terrified to change just the oil and filter on mine. I have no idea what the former owner did or didn't do with vehicle. I have put 58,000 kms on it since I bought it in 2008. I have to do it I can't let it go not knowing when at least the filter was changed and some of the fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
LMAO just passing on what was said to me on the phone. I did think I heard the sounds of a few people choking back laughter
It's reliable if the fluid has been changed, other than that, it's a crap shoot. The 3rd gen seemed to be worse, they got better in the 4th gen, then a little worse after 2003.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same problem where someone told me a filter change was not necessary ( 1989 Cutlass cruiser) got the SOL when the car wouldn't move. Bought a new filter and strained the old fluid through a calendar dish towel and put it back in.. car was doing 80 MPH versus the 30 it could do before. Transmission was condemned in my 1989 Plymouth K-car as well, changed it and cleaned the pan.. apparently it had never been touched (86,000 original miles in 2008) Changing the filter and cleaning the pan are key with any car… will not take much to clog a transmission filter!!! both transmissions have never been flushed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
15 Participants
SAAN
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing