Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a replacement mirror for my black Taurus wagon. I am seeing replacement mirrors described as "Textured". What exactly is textured mean in the context of mirror replacement? Just looking for some guidance so I buy the correct part.

My current mirror has a matte surface and a glossy surface as shown in the photo below.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
You have to watch out for the ability to swap the black shiny cover on your mirror. Newer Taurus mirrors are just textured black without the ability to add the color shiny cover.

·
Premium Member
7,300 Posts
IIRC, the textured mirrors are all black and came on the later 04 and up models that were not SEL's.

I think they also came on earlier LX models too.

SEL models still had the painted covers but Ford decontented the color covers through the mid year 04 models, except on the SELs.

I had a later build (after Jan 2004) SES Sport that came with the textured black covers.

I did switch them out when I found the painted covers.

IMO, the painted covers look better. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much for the explanations everyone. Your answers helped a lot. I will either pull a mirror myself so I can verify it is a match, or make sure I see a photo if purchasing online.

Many of the results from car-part.com would have bolted on fine, but would have been a mismatch appearance-wise because of the change made to the mirror finish in 04, that duraset explained above.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
It's a pain to remove though.

But yes, any that says "textured" will just be a rough black plastic, and not the glossy paint you have. Sometimes you can swap the OEM painted cover to the aftermarket mirror but most of the time you can't.

If I remember correctly, you need to remove the mirror and press in a few tabs. It has been many years since my daughter snapped it off on the garage door frame when she was learning to drive.

Doesn't the glass mirror just pull out?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The glass mirror does come off - see pictures below. I searched the forums and found posts that discussed removing and replacing the mirror glass with replacement glass sourced from a you-pull-it junkyard. In my case, the mounting portion of the mirror where it attaches to the door is damaged beyond repair, so replacement of the whole assembly is needed. Thanks again for all the information everyone.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
kc27
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing