Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I recently purchased this car and it appears that neither the ABS nor traction control work and no warning lights are showing on the dash. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Hey guys I recently purchased this car and it appears that neither the ABS nor traction control work and no warning lights are showing on the dash. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Maybe someone took the lights out of the cluster? :lol2:

Did you try to pull the codes? It could be a bad harness or pump, if it isn't to do with the wheels. You need to pull the codes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe someone took the lights out of the cluster? :lol2:

Did you try to pull the codes? It could be a bad harness or pump, if it isn't to do with the wheels. You need to pull the codes.
LOL it's not the lights in the cluster, I can see them light up on start up then turn off as normal. No warning lights are showing and the T/C light doesn't come on when I press the button to activate it. Gonna pull the codes next...just wondering if anyone's experienced this before.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
The traction control is on when you start the car.
You press the button to turn it off. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The traction control is on when you start the car.
You press the button to turn it off. :)
Thanks but it does not work. Pressing the button does not make any changes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The T/C light usually comes on only when the system detects wheel slippage. Have you tested that the ABS does not work either and if yes, how did you test it?

If the wheel sensors are not working, then you won't have either ABS or T/C but you should definitely see warning lights if the bulbs are working. In any case, pull the codes like others have suggested.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The T/C light usually comes on only when the system detects wheel slippage. Have you tested that the ABS does not work either and if yes, how did you test it?
Yes I realize that LOL. Let's just say I floored the pedal on snow and then jammed on the brakes and the car just spun/slid. Easy enough test LOL. That was obvious that nothing worked...

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sounds perplexing, my only advice is to hook up to a scantool and see if you get any weird conficting data from speed sensors, ABS controller, etc. Make sure all the modules are reporting in.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Yes I realize that LOL. Let's just say I floored the pedal on snow and then jammed on the brakes and the car just spun/slid. Easy enough test LOL. That was obvious that nothing worked...
You don't need a slippery surface to check the ABS. Bring the car to 50+ and stomp the brakes as hard as you can. If they lock, no ABS. If you get pulsing in the brake peddle you have ABS. This isn't a good idea to try if you've never had experience controlling a car that's skidding down the road.

If you don't have ABS, you won't have traction control.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't need a slippery surface to check the ABS. Bring the car to 50+ and stomp the brakes as hard as you can. If they lock, no ABS. If you get pulsing in the brake peddle you have ABS. This isn't a good idea to try if you've never had experience controlling a car that's skidding down the road.

If you don't have ABS, you won't have traction control.
Obviously LOL. I've had two Duratecs before this with ABS and I know how it works! lmao. This car has it but does not function and there are no warning lights coming on!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds perplexing, my only advice is to hook up to a scantool and see if you get any weird conficting data from speed sensors, ABS controller, etc. Make sure all the modules are reporting in.
Yup. Just waiting for the shops here to open up again after the delay from the holidays and I'll get it checked out. At least someone on here can give some useful advice. Thanks for the tip.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Obviously LOL. I've had two Duratecs before this with ABS and I know how it works! lmao
With the way you described it and the fact that there are no codes, you can't blame me for wondering, right?

there are no warning lights coming on!
Which is why people kind of doubted if you checked, since you never indicated how you tried in the first post, which would have been good info.

Yup. Just waiting for the shops here to open up again after the delay from the holidays and I'll get it checked out. At least someone on here can give some useful advice. Thanks for the tip.
He was the 3rd one to suggest hooking a computer up to it. Other people were likely perplexed as to why there were no lights. I'm not dissing on WJC, I just find it odd that you think he was the only one that actually helped.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scan tool was plugged in and there is no communication with the ABS. There are no warning lights either so there are no codes that come up. Looks like there isn't much room to remove the ABS module from the hydraulic unit unless you remove the rad support so you can access the 6 screws that attach it to that. Don't feel like removing all 6 lines from the hydraulic unit either because that is a ton more work to bleed everything!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
CHeck the main multi-pin connector at the ABS controller, look for bent pins or corrosion. Unplug/replug a few times, see if communication resumes. Fuse is intact, right?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CHeck the main multi-pin connector at the ABS controller, look for bent pins or corrosion. Unplug/replug a few times, see if communication resumes. Fuse is intact, right?
I'll have to try that...fuse is fine yes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I've finally got it figured out. There was no communication between the scan tool and the ABS system the whole time I've owned the car (non functioning traction control nor abs) so I decided to change the ABS module and presto, it works like a charm now. The ABS bulb in the dash is burnt out however but the ABS and TC works.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Stellar! Somebody posted back how their problem was finally resolved.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stellar! Somebody posted back how their problem was finally resolved.
We are all here to learn right so I hope this can help anyone else with the same problemB)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts