Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I stop the alarm horn in my 2000 Taurus SEL from going off at all hours of the night.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For a temporary fix....Is it okay to disconnect the Horn by removing the 15A fuse from the #30 position in the passenger fuse box. The manual says the fuse is for the "Horn and Horn Switch , OBD II Connector".

I don't know what the OBD ll Connector is or what it does. Is it okay to remove the fuse for the Horn and the OBD ll Connector ?

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
22,540 Posts
OBD2 connector is the scan tool port below the steering wheel at the bottom of the dash. Does your '00 have an alarm hood switch? Check by looking underhood midway along the lf fender for a plunger switch. If so, unplug it and see if it cures your annoying/irritating honking. If not, may suspect the trunk latch alarm switch. Also, may spray all door end latches with wd-40.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot Sheila... I'm going to leave the car in the driveway for awhile so I removed the 15A fuse at slot #30 in the passenger fuse box. The slot is labeled Horn and Horn Switch , OBD II Connector".

The horn isn't honking anymore but I'm wondering if it is okay to have the OBD ll connector disconnected or would it be better to disconnect the negative battery cable?

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to say, my 2000 Taurus does have a plunger type switch under the hood midway along the left side. I tie-wired the switch permanently down last year thinking it was the culprit but the alarm still goes off all of the time. Do you think it would make any difference if I unplugged the switch?

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sheila......

I’ll disconnect both of the switches and see how it goes

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
93 Posts
Both of my lincoln continentals would randomly sound the alarm in my driveway, or in the parking lot at work. It seened to be far less of a problem when i started locking and unlocking the drivers door with the key.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine started doing this a couple yrs ago. Swapped out the hood switch and tried lubricating all four door latches...no joy. Swapping new latches seemed like a real p.i.t.a., so I've simply learned to live with it and leave it unlocked all the time. Obviously, not the preferred option...but, with 262K miles and rust showing along the rockers, it doesn't seem to attract any would-be thieves, anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll try disconnecting the hood and trunk and start locking with the key.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sheila recommend I disconnect my hood and trunk alarm switches and I disconnected the hood switch tonight but I wasn't sure where or how to disconnect for the trunk switch. There is a green and a black wire that run below the fixed trunk latch bar and there is a 3 wire connector/plug on the above latch but the switch/plug appears to only open the latch to access the trunk release.

I took some pictures of the trunk wires and switch/plug but I don't know how to post them.

Will someone please tell me where the trunk alarm switch is and how to disconnect it.

* I would like to get the trunk alarm switch disconnected because I currently have the 15A fuse at slot #30 in the drivers side fuse box removed. Besides the horn not working, the cruise control isn't working either (not sure if this is related to the horn fuse) and I would like to put then horn fuse back in the fuse block.

Thanks a lot,
Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I"ve decided to put it all back together and lock and unlock the drivers door with my key. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
212 Posts
Have you considered disabling the system? The car is old. The flaky system is probably giving you more grief than it helps. I've done this with a number of cars, including my Mercedes. After work, I'd step in my car to find the battery is dead.

I do the same with locking lug nuts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you considered disabling the system? The car is old. The flaky system is probably giving you more grief than it helps. I've done this with a number of cars, including my Mercedes. After work, I'd step in my car to find the battery is dead.

I do the same with locking lug nuts.
Thanks, I'd love to disconnect the whole system. Will you please tell me how to do it.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've never done it on my Sable, but I can send you the wiring diagrams for a 2001 Sable, which includes circuit diagrams for Forced Entry Circuit and Passive Anti-theft Circuit.

The bug in all this is some cars have the starter circuit tied in with the anti-theft module.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never done it on my Sable, but I can send you the wiring diagrams for a 2001 Sable, which includes circuit diagrams for Forced Entry Circuit and Passive Anti-theft Circuit.

The bug in all this is some cars have the starter circuit tied in with the anti-theft module.
It's worth try. I don't know if I'll be able to interpret the diagram but I'll try.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are the wiring diagrams.
I really appreciate the diagrams but as I was afraid of, I really can't interpret them well enough to determine what to disconnect to disarm the overall alarm system.

Last week I removed the 15A Horn Fuse located in Slot 30 of the drivers side fuse box but it also seemed to disconnect the cruise control and I wasn't comfortable driving without the horn so I
reinstalled the 15A fuse.

Would you happen to know if there is a fuse that could be removed that would only disconnect the horn if the alarm was set off without disconnecting the regular horn operation?

Thanks again for the diagrams!!
Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone know if there is a fuse that could be removed that would only disconnect the horn if the alarm was set off without disconnecting the regular horn operation or away way to accomplish the same?

Thanks,
Gary

1 - 20 of 20 Posts