Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I want to do this myself anyway, I have a 2000 Taurus with Vulcan engine and AX4S Transmission. I want to drain and replace the tranny oil and filter. I want to get it all out of the torque converter as well but I do not know how to go about doing this.

I read somewhere on this site about them disconnecting a line and draining it while running, but my question is, is that really safe to run a car with no transmission oil in the T/C?

Thanks.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Read the first sticky in this forum. The process described is essentially what Ford specifies to its dealerships service departments on their maintenance CD/DVD.

·
Registered
93 Posts
well you wouldn't run the t/c without oil, as the oil's draining out via the cooler line for instance, you'll be adding oil from the dipstick tube simultaneously. and you'll be able to tell when the old fluid is flushed out because the fluid will be a nice red color vs. whatever color is coming out.
then wait till at least a quart or so comes out then, turn off the engine, reconnect the line and start the engine back up and check the level and make adjustments as needed. if you're overfilled, then simply remove the line and let some out or draw it out from the dipstick tube via siphon pump

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts