Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2000 Taurus LX FFV that I purchased for my son and am having a difficult time trying to figure out what's wrong with the stereo. It will not power on at all and I've checked all the fuses and none of them are burnt. I did some searching on this forum and came up with a few ideas but have a question or two that I'm hoping someone out there can help me with. I found the RCU that is in the trunk and noticed that one of the three plugins on the RCU (the one furthest to the right) is empty. There are some unplugged wires there but the male end of the plugin does not match the female port on the RCU. The loose wire has "BATT" and "ACC" tags on it but I cannot figure out where that wire goes. It has a three prong male end and does not match the missing plugin on the RCU. I am just wondering if anyone out there has any ideas before I spend the $60 on a used RCU just to possibly find out that the RCU isn't the problem. Does anyone know what plugs in to the farthest right port on the RCU? That would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Does the display on the dash light up with the radio station, clock, and volume bar?

The empty plug on the RCU is for a CD changer. If you don't have one the RCU should still operate normally without one plugged in.

I don't know about the loose wire in the trunk. It may also be for the CD changer, but I don't remember the wires being labeled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. The radio display doesn't do anything it's just dead. There are no lights at all. In your opinion, with the radio not working at all, would you think the RCU is bad? I plan on buying one I'd just like to know that if the RCU is bad would it completely kill the stereo, I mean lights and everything?It makes sense. A used one at the local salvage yard is $60 so the price is still better than the $80+ dollars just for the dash kit. Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
does the clock show up on the display? if i remember correctly that should show up no matter if the rcu is plugged in or not. if it doesn't show up i would start doing some pinout tests at the dash to see if you are even getting power. if you do have power at the right places then i would say the control panel is your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does the clock show up on the display? if i remember correctly that should show up no matter if the rcu is plugged in or not. if it doesn't show up i would start doing some pinout tests at the dash to see if you are even getting power. if you do have power at the right places then i would say the control panel is your problem.
No the clock doesn't display anything. The heater switches work but there are absolutely no lights at all on the stereo. The control panel you're talking about is that the panel for the radio directly in front of it? I will check for power to the radio itself this evening. I am curious about the wires I found by the RCU that seem to go to nothing.I will take a picture of them and post it to see if any of you knowledgeable people can clue me in as to what they are. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
find anything out? i could probably check tomorrow to see if i was correct. i drove around without an rcu in my car for a couple weeks but now i cant remember for sure if the clock shows or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts