Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
Im new to this forum, so if this is in the wrong spot, moderator please move it.
This is my first Ford, so im a bit of a Newbie. I just bought this car, and it has a no crank symptom. Its a 2000 Ford Taurus SE. The radio, windows, horn, dash, and all the lights work. The fuel pump turns on, but when you hit the key in neutral or park it does not start. I checked fuse #7 and it is good, and the starter solenoid/relay. They are both good. There is power going to both the fuse and relay. I also found a blown fuse under the dash, but not in the fuse box. It was in a little plastic fuse holder. It was a Buss 15 amp cylinder fuse. I changed it. The car also has a new battery. What might else i check? How do i check the Neutral Safety switch? is there anything else i can check?
Can i also put power manually to the starter to check that? I know how, but dont know if i should (if its safe or good for the car.)
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
With key held in START position, jiggle the shifter back and forth in both park and neutral and see if it will crank.

How do you know the starter is good? Did you run a jumper from the batt + terminal to the starter solenoid?

A higher end scan tool or Forscan with an ELM327 will let you look at what gear the TRS / NSS is telling PCM is selected.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
Pic of hot wire of starter. Just a short wire with quarter inch spade on one end. Other bare and to the bat post. Can crank the engine over and not activate any other thing so no fuel or spark. Good for checking compression. And starter. Pic is for '03 year, which relay might be different for other years.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With key held in START position, jiggle the shifter back and forth in both park and neutral and see if it will crank.

How do you know the starter is good? Did you run a jumper from the batt + terminal to the starter solenoid?

A higher end scan tool or Forscan with an ELM327 will let you look at what gear the TRS / NSS is telling PCM is selected.
The car does not crank when i move the shifter back an forth.
What post of the solenoid/relay do i touch the positive battery to?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pic of hot wire of starter. Just a short wire with quarter inch spade on one end. Other bare and to the bat post. Can crank the engine over and not activate any other thing so no fuel or spark. Good for checking compression. And starter. Pic is for '03 year, which relay might be different for other years.
-chart-
thanks very much! Trying that next.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Maybe take the cover off the relay and see if the contact points are corroded. If so, clean them and save the big bucks for a new relay!
Or temporarily exchange the relay with one of the other 2:

#24 (next to it) is the Low Speed Fan Relay
#32 (upper right) is the High Speed Fan Relay

·
Registered
259 Posts
Did the car start before? If not, in theory it might be that you have an invalid duplicate key (shape is OK but the chip inside is not). In that case you should try the other key.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did the car start before? If not, in theory it might be that you have an invalid duplicate key (shape is OK but the chip inside is not). In that case you should try the other key.
b
I bought this car from the county. They are the first owners. I bought knowing it had the issue. Paid 300 bucks. Clean title, 99,000 miles. It has the 2 original keys. They said that the car just wouldn't crank one morning.
I also already tried switching the relays. Maybe i will just go for it and replace the TRS and see what happens.
What about the ignition switch?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe take the cover off the relay and see if the contact points are corroded. If so, clean them and save the big bucks for a new relay!
I bench tested the relay, and it works fine. I also tried switching the relays. I will take a look at the inside. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
^^^^^ Yes, I have heard of this happening on rare occasions before but I wouldnt go replacing the TRS / NSS until further testing is done. Any chance the TRS / NSS is just out of alignment? Index mark lined up?

As I mentioned earlier, a GOOD scan tool will let you see what gear position the TRS / NSS is reporting to the PCM.

Reactions: MaddyHaddy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just went ahead and bought a cheap 55 dollar TRS because it was cheaper than the scan tool and the TRS was aligned. I will let you know!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts