Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 2000 Ford Taurus that we're trying to pass inspection in Maryland. One of the issues that I've been struggling with is that the power windows don't always work.

I've checked all the fuses and none of them are blown. I didn't think it would be a fuse because if it was blown it would open the circuit and they would never work.

I checked the relays...specifically the accessory delay and one-touch down relays. They all appear to be functioning correctly.

Another thing I noticed is that the dome light doesn't always work...and that it appears to be linked to the power windows too. If you open the door and the light doesn't come on...the windows will not work. If you open the door and the dome light turns on...then the windows will work. I remember one time when the windows weren't working, I was trying to remove the fuse panel on the driver side. When I took it off, the dome light turned on suddenly. I checked the windows and sure enough they also worked. I then shut the door and opened it back up and the dome light stayed off and the windows wouldn't work again.

I read somewhere to try spraying WD-40 in the door latch...but that didn't make a difference either.

Does anyone have any other ideas or things I can try?

Thanks

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have the same issue and I have narrowed it down to the door switch not fully actuating when the door closes and sticking when the door opens. Pretty much the switch is sticking. Slamming the door fixes this issue for me lol.I should probably stop being lazy and fix it. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same issue and I have narrowed it down to the door switch not fully actuating when the door closes and sticking when the door opens. Pretty much the switch is sticking. Slamming the door fixes this issue for me lol.I should probably stop being lazy and fix it. :D
I thought it could be that too...which is why I sprayed WD-40 in the door latch. However, that didn't make a difference. I also tried slamming the door several times but was never able to get it working by doing that.

If I wanted to check that switch...would I have to take the driver-side door apart? Is that difficult to do?

Thanks

·
Registered
815 Posts
I may be wrong but I believe the switch is in the latching mechanism. If someone who knows a tad more about the gen 4 would clarify that would be helpful. For latch removal the plastic panel needs to be removed, the rods for the door lock and handle need to be disconnected along with all the other electrical connectors that go to it. There should be three torx screws holding the latch mechanism in the door.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It may be different for him, but from my tests on my car I have found no other faults, leading me to believe it's the switch. No shorted, chaffed or corroded wires. All wires that travel to my window switches have no short to power or ground. Good continuity. Now that I think about it, it does it when cold too... Hmmmm, disregard my posts for I have been awake for about 39 hours. I do apologize. TIME TO BUST OUT THE FLUKE!

·
Registered
815 Posts
This I do know. Auto electronics is my best area. Now when it comes to transmissions I can pull and stab them, but repair I feel like a chimp in a calculus class.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Door switch should not affect windows

I'm reading through these old threads, trying to figure out my problem. This thread describes mine to the "T".

I wonder if there is a connection to the door switch. With the ignition ON, door shut, then switch the ignition to OFF, the windows continue to be operable until the door is opened.

Does this explain there to be a connection between the door switch and the power windows?

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
I'm reading through these old threads, trying to figure out my problem. This thread describes mine to the "T".

I wonder if there is a connection to the door switch. With the ignition ON, door shut, then switch the ignition to OFF, the windows continue to be operable until the door is opened.

Does this explain there to be a connection between the door switch and the power windows?
Consider the issue might be a broken wire in the accordion from the door to the body. Very easy to check. Open the door and press a switch that is not working and then jiggle the accordion.

-chart-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Consider the issue might be a broken wire in the accordion from the door to the body. Very easy to check. Open the door and press a switch that is not working and then jiggle the accordion.

-chart-

Sorry, I forgot to include that I had already inspected that area, found a broken ground wire....repaired....and no improvement.

Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts