Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have a 2000 Ford Taurus Se FFV. Car has been down since last October. It started out as an oil leak, i replaced the oil pan gasket and the problem went away. About a month later, the leak had returned. Long story short, I was on my way home from a trip out of town, My oil light came on and within a minute later I had smoke pouring out of the hood and the motor came to a grinding halt. Luckily i coasted to a side road and was able to get a ride.

Now that i have the story out of the way, I would like to know whats the newest Vulcan Year i can use, and what vehicles are interchangeable. Thanks in advance. I would have loved to do a Duratec swap, but based on my reseach, it's more hassle than i want to deal with. Motors for these cars range from $200 to $1,700. It's not really an expensive issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is interchangability info from a salvage yard index.

TAURUS 00 (6-183, 3.0L), OHV (Vulcan), flex fuel (VIN 1 or 2)

Below is for a non flex fuel vehicle. The Hollander salvage interchage states: Electrical & induction systems vary, compare and switch as necessary.
See 300-09057A for possible interchange by changing injectors.
|B| & |C| fit; difference is intake manifold, injectors and wiring.

SABLE 00 (6-183, 3.0L), OHV (Vin U, Vulcan)
TAURUS 00 (6-183, 3.0L), OHV (Vulcan), gasoline (VIN U)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (dorman68 @ Apr 27 2009, 12:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=720998
Here is interchangability info from a salvage yard index.

TAURUS 00 (6-183, 3.0L), OHV (Vulcan), flex fuel (VIN 1 or 2)

Below is for a non flex fuel vehicle. The Hollander salvage interchage states: Electrical & induction systems vary, compare and switch as necessary.
See 300-09057A for possible interchange by changing injectors.
|B| & |C| fit; difference is intake manifold, injectors and wiring.

SABLE 00 (6-183, 3.0L), OHV (Vin U, Vulcan)
TAURUS 00 (6-183, 3.0L), OHV (Vulcan), gasoline (VIN U)[/b]
Is it possible to use a newer Vulcan motor ? Or only 2000 model will fit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Sir's. I can use up to 2007 Vulcan, Just re-used my exhaust and intake manifolds?

So essentially, This motor should be able to work in my 2000, Just swap my intake manifold onto it ?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
You're gonna have to set them next to each other and go part for part, sensor for sensor, but most of it will probably swap right over.

When I did my '93 I kept the oil pan, timing cover, block and heads from the '07 engine. All the sensors, distributor, upper and lower intake, exhaust manifolds, were kept and re-used from the '93 engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, Thanks For the help. I would assume the newer the motor the better. Are the newer motors rated higher hp/tq or all they all basically the same?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Those were my thoughts, newer the better, but....... there is something to be said about the newer programming and induction. I can garuantee mine isn't running as well as is probably was in it's original vehicle. That's not to say in the slightest it's not running good, it IS, it runs fabulous.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts