Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 Taurus SEL with a Duratec 3.0L
Here's the issue...
Engine starts, but takes several turns to do so...
when started, it will idle, but runs rough.
If you step on the gas it sounds like its only running on 3 cylinders, and the front bank sounds like its completely dead.
The engine has 113K miles on it.
Stepping on the accelerator, it will not exceed 1500 RPM, UNLESS you double step, at which point it will get to 3500RPM, but takes awhile to get there...
There is no knocking or pinging noises, just the clear sound of 3-4 cylinders firing, and the others missing...

Any advice? No CEL, and No codes.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Plugged converter, weak fuel pump, possible head gasket. But to figure it out you are going to have to diagnose more. What's the fuel pressure when running and when turned off? If fuel pressure checks out what is the compression on the cylinders?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Add to these, even though there is no CEL, the AC compressor wont engage, but the pressure is normal for off.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
For the A/C not engaging, you could have a bad pressure switch, which is easy to test. Just unplug the connector from the switch and jump the connector. If the compressor engages, then the switch is bad, considering you have proper pressure. If it still doesn't engage, then you will have to get into it further.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hmm...considering my car was running on 5 cylinders when it blew a plug and didn't even set a CEL, I'm not surprised. You may have pending codes however. Do you know of anyone with a code reader you can borrow? How is the battery? How is the wiring that connects to the coil on plugs? I've seen a couple people post on here about animals getting in the engine bay and chewing up wiring.

What happens if from a cold start, you prime the fuel pump a few times before cranking the car up?

·
Registered
31 Posts
When this happened to my 2000 Vulcan around 190,000 mi., it was clogged fuel injectors. The shop cleaned them out, did the plugs and wires for good measure, and I was on my way. It sounds like it's a little too late for you to run a fuel treatment through the engine, sadly. Did the missing cylinders go AWOL all at once, or was it running rough for a while before that?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, you need to start gathering information to narrow down what the problem can be. The easiest check, imho, is spark. Lay hands on an inductive timing light or similar device to see if the plugs in your dead cylinders are firing.

If they are, then you want to check the fuel pressure. Read the Fuel Pump/Injector Testing link in the Topic Finder.

If the fuel pressure checks out, then you want to do a compression test on the dead cylinders. Maybe a leakdown test too, while you're in there.

Once you've checked those things you'll have a MUCH better idea what the problem is and where it could lie. Obviously if you can lay hands on a scan tool, the car may be able to tell you some things about what's going wrong that would save you a few tests. Talking to the previous owner could be equally productive if you're a tactful sort of person.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
P0316, P0351, P0352, P1101, P0000, P0000, P0316, P0316, P0316, P0351, P0351, P0351, P0352, P0351, P0000, P0000, P0000, P0012, P0316, P0000

3 resets, as seen above with Diagun,
316 (Random Misfire)
351, 352, bad Iggy coils,
P1101, Maf Dirty
P0012, ****** gas in tank.

Thnaks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts