Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Taurus / Duratec motor and 237K Miles.
I just got my fuel pump replaced at Goodyear and when I went to fill up, the gauge wouldnt go over 3/4 mark, so they tested it and said the sending unit was bad and then put in another Fuel pump today and now this gauge wont go any higher than between the 1/2 mark and the 3/4 mark. I have never had any issues with the Fuel needle until the pump was replaced.

This was a $500 repair and very frustrating now, has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Did they replace just the pump or the entire module? It's possible that either something was damaged (like the arm that contacts the sweeper switch), or the new parts are simply manufactured incorrectly. I've seen lots of silliness with aftermarket pump modules, some that won't sit correctly in the tank. If all else fails you could always bring it back and demand a Motorcraft module, even if you have to pay the difference in parts.

Though, in fairness, my '97 was screwed up from the factory. Never would read over 7/8 tank. Along with the 1000 other hilarious engineering flaws of the 3rd gen Taurus.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They replaced the entire assembly. Im wondering if its a cheap brand being used.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I've had 2 Carter brand pump modules with bad gauge senders. One was a NAPA brand and one was a Carter. NAPA pump was a Carter mfgr. one. Both in my Yukon, erratic wiggling gauge. NAPA pump was a repl. on a road trip, Carter from RA I did myself on a fuel line rusted out repair job when I had to drop tank.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
They replaced the entire assembly. Im wondering if its a cheap brand being used.
Ask them what brand they put in. This is the problem when you take your car to a shop to get repairs done if it's not a dealer. Chances are they used some bottom shelf, 'bargain brand' unit and charged you for the premium stuff. I put in an Airtex pump/sending unit in my wagon and have no issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ask them what brand they put in. This is the problem when you take your car to a shop to get repairs done if it's not a dealer. Chances are they used some bottom shelf, 'bargain brand' unit and charged you for the premium stuff. I put in an Airtex pump/sending unit in my wagon and have no issues.
I think he told me both brands have been Airtex so far. It could be just bad luck and getting 2 pumps with faulty sending units on them.

So will take it back later this week to use up more gas, since they said it is hard to work on the car with a full tank of gas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem resolved.

Apparently they put in on 2 occasions, the fuel pump for the 18 Gallon tank as to why the readings were off by 4+ gallons.

The correct part number for a Airtex Pump for a 16 gallon tank is E2283M and now the needle works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
SAAN
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing