Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been chasing my intermittent alarm problem for awhile but tonight was the strangest....

Coming home from a restaurant tonight, the door looks began to lock and unlock without touching the locks and the dome light started going off and on. When the door locks were in the unlock position, the dash board showed a red symbol indicating the doors were open or adjar and all of the doors were all closed.

Any idea what could be causing these weird things to happen and what I can do to get it to stop.

Thanks a lot,
Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sheila. I will give that a try. I've heard of spraying the locks before but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
227 Posts
There is a switch on each door lock that reports whether the door is latched. They will get sticky and send false signal. Some people suggest removing the lower lock torx bolt in the door jam and spray lube. The only sure way to lube these switches is to remove interior door panel and spray from the inside of door.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Had this happen to my then new 99 Ranger, caught the door locks cycling while washing it in the driveway, my & the wife's keys were in the house, so wasn't her cycling the locks & messing with my mind while cleaning that puppy.

I began my trouble shoot by taking the battery out of My FOB & driving it without problems. The Dealer tried replacing the battery, but that didn't fix it. Turned out to be a faulty FOB. Since it was still in warranty the Dealer replace it at no cost & no more problems.
So, try leaving the FOB's at home, or remove their battery, one at a time, to see if the locks stop acting out.

The FOB is sensitive to low battery voltage, so if its been a while since Both batteries were replaced, test them with a multimeter, or try replacing the batteries in both FOB's.

If the FOB has been subjected to excessive heat, like run through a cloths dryer drying cycle, that can wipe them out, as well as getting them wet, like washing them while in a pocket. I just did this, smart key is still ok, but the FOB has gone belly up.

If the FOB's check out ok, use, borrow, or come by the inexpensive ELM scan tool as discussed in the FORScan sticky atop the forum index page here https://www.taurusclub.com/threads/freeware-scan-tool-software-forscan.180642/ & running FORScan diagnostic software on a viewing device of your choice as this pair can query All of the vehicle computer / controllers for trouble code clues that can help focus a trouble shoot, then post up All code Numbers & the forum will try & suggest your next best trouble shooting step.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With the Wagons, it's the striker on the tailgate latch. Try WD-40. There is another thread, elsewhere, about adjusting the striker pin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been chasing my intermittent alarm problem for awhile but tonight was the strangest....

Coming home from a restaurant tonight, the door looks began to lock and unlock without touching the locks and the dome light started going off and on. When the door locks were in the unlock position, the dash board showed a red symbol indicating the doors were open or adjar and all of the doors were all closed.

Any idea what could be causing these weird things to happen and what I can do to get it to stop.

Thanks a lot,
Gary
Mine was doing same, but not while driving - at first. First noticed when parked slightly downhill w/car running to quickly get out, toss trash and get back in, the door would sometimes shut instead of pulling to almost closing. When it did, the door would lock. Not until after I ran back home, got a spare key and opened the running car, would I notice the dome light on! Noticed this mostly at night, natch.
Car would start strongly, quickly with new to 9 month old battery. Then totally dead with no warning. Sometimes had to go to car after home in eve for 4+ hrs to find dome light on with no option to switch off other than take out the bulb.
Lots of spooky stuff like that happened. Don't really know if solved, cuz battery was replaced in March.... guess it's time again!! lol
We checked lots of things for several years. I finally resolved to just buy a new battery once a yr. Sad, but easier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try spraying each door end latch/switch liberally with wd-40.
I did that on the rubber casings around door and window of one side of car I open, close and frequently lock to get tools in and out surreptitiously. Made everything work better, but that door is now so difficult to open, I must use TWO hands and my 5'10 body to pull on it!

Read somewhere to do that, as well as under body of car to prevent rust. Used in door keyholes on car, home...everywhere!

My late pop smiling... he loved the stuff!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts