Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I am not very mechanically inclied, so I will try to explain my situation as well as I can. I have searched around for this issue, but it seems rather unique (or I just cannot search very well!).

My wife left the windows down in our Taurus one night when it started to rain very heavily. We didn't realize this fact for about 20 to 30 minutes into the storm. The next day, the buttons on the steering wheel for the CC were rather sticky to press, staying depressed for a few seconds before popping back up. I did not attempt to use the CC at this time, though I did note that the CC light on the dash was blinking rather slowly, lighting up for a brief second every 5 - 10 seconds.

After a day or two, the buttons worked fine, no delay at all when depressed. The CC did not work though, still blinking on as it was previously.

I am just wondering if anyone might know whether my CC is shot and I'll have to take it to a shop to fix, or if there is something simpler that I can check. I thought of pulling the fuse out and putting it back in, but again, I have no clue about cars so I have no reason for why I thought htis might work. I have yet to do it though, so I do not know if it might work.

I appreciate any insight to this issue!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You should pop the buttons out of the wheel, disconnect them, dissassemble them, and clean the contacts with contact cleaner. See if that helps first!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
First, I am not very mechanically inclied, so I will try to explain my situation as well as I can. I have searched around for this issue, but it seems rather unique (or I just cannot search very well!).

My wife left the windows down in our Taurus one night when it started to rain very heavily. We didn't realize this fact for about 20 to 30 minutes into the storm. The next day, the buttons on the steering wheel for the CC were rather sticky to press, staying depressed for a few seconds before popping back up. I did not attempt to use the CC at this time, though I did note that the CC light on the dash was blinking rather slowly, lighting up for a brief second every 5 - 10 seconds.

After a day or two, the buttons worked fine, no delay at all when depressed. The CC did not work though, still blinking on as it was previously.

I am just wondering if anyone might know whether my CC is shot and I'll have to take it to a shop to fix, or if there is something simpler that I can check. I thought of pulling the fuse out and putting it back in, but again, I have no clue about cars so I have no reason for why I thought htis might work. I have yet to do it though, so I do not know if it might work.

I appreciate any insight to this issue!
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-...ow-articles/141117-cruise-control-repair.html

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
Buttons

You should pop the buttons out of the wheel, disconnect them, dissassemble them, and clean the contacts with contact cleaner. See if that helps first!
Agree, buttons come out easily, unplug.

Added pic of one taken apart.

Two screws, not much there but contacts. I would clean them with alcohol. Mine have lights, many do not.

Mine did not shut off. All works but "off". I got one from the junk yard, but after fixing it, took this one apart. So if you had one that the "on" button did not make contact, you could chase everything but the simple, check this first thing. I'm not the only one with non contact buttons.

-chart-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts