Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Nope no codes at all i sprayed a tiny bit of starting fluid today and it just kept making the engine kick off the pcv valve hose not sure why

·
Registered
109 Posts
That sounds like a crank sensor. Backfiring usually indicates bad/random ignition timing. How do you know all six cylinders are getting spark? Did you pull all the plugs and check them?

These things are just glorified lawn mower engines - if they have spark and gas they have to run. The only things that will prevent them from running are spark at the wrong time or something catastrophically wrong with the EG. Pouring an once or so of fuel directly into the engine via the intake bypasses the entire fuel system.

Even if some of the gizmos go haywire, with spark and gas it will still run (not necessarily well, but it'll run).

·
Registered
1998 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 OHV
32 Posts
+1 on what Shugi says about the crank sensor. It definitely sounds like a timing issue to me. You certainly could have gotten a bad sensor (you said you replaced already?).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
  1. Once I get home im going to to double check everything again it could be just something small im overlooking im hoping it is.
  2. +1 on what Shugi says about the crank sensor. It definitely sounds like a timing issue to me. You certainly could have gotten a bad sensor (you said you replaced already?).
  3. +1 on what Shugi says about the crank sensor. It definitely sounds like a timing issue to me. You certainly could have gotten a bad sensor (you said you replaced already?).
    Yes I replaced it but today i was tinkering around and I was wondering why the radio would not come so I took it out the dash and there was a spark so I cranked the engine and it started and ran for 6 seconds and died so there is clearly a weird electrical issue i will tackle that slowly in the next few days

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That sounds like a crank sensor. Backfiring usually indicates bad/random ignition timing. How do you know all six cylinders are getting spark? Did you pull all the plugs and check them?

These things are just glorified lawn mower engines - if they have spark and gas they have to run. The only things that will prevent them from running are spark at the wrong time or something catastrophically wrong with the EG. Pouring an once or so of fuel directly into the engine via the intake bypasses the entire fuel system.

Even if some of the gizmos go haywire, with spark and gas it will still run (not necessarily well, but it'll run).
I was tinkering around today and wondered why the radio would not come on I took it out the dash and there was a spark so I turned the key and the car ran for six seconds and died so there is an eletrical issue somewhere

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Please check the connector at the crank sensor, had poor connection on our '99 Sable. Used contact cleaner and that fixed it. Check the ground strap at the firewall that runs to the engine block. How is your battery voltage at rest and when you are cranking the engine?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Please check the connector at the crank sensor, had poor connection on our '99 Sable. Used contact cleaner and that fixed it. Check the ground strap at the firewall that runs to the engine block. How is your battery voltage at rest and when you are cranking the engine?
I was tinkering around with it yesterday ansd was wondering why the radio wasnt working so I removed it from the dash there was a spark fearing i may have sorted my electrical system out I turned the key to the on position to make sure i didn't short anything out and I went ahead and cranked it for old time sake and behold she started and ran for about six seconds and died again so I traced wires which lead under the dash which I had removed and found whoever had the car before me had installed a remote start and after maket radio which were wired wrong onceci remove them the car started and ran fine.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
338 Posts
I was tinkering around with it yesterday ansd was wondering why the radio wasnt working so I removed it from the dash there was a spark fearing i may have sorted my electrical system out I turned the key to the on position to make sure i didn't short anything out and I went ahead and cranked it for old time sake and behold she started and ran for about six seconds and died again so I traced wires which lead under the dash which I had removed and found whoever had the car before me had installed a remote start and after maket radio which were wired wrong onceci remove them the car started and ran fine.
It must be new anti-theft device, turn radio off, car won't start.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited by Moderator)
Car died while driving after getting gas and it does this weird cranking thing I checked all connections battery/starter wires and I had the alternator tested which checked out good. He fuel pump is working and has pressure, and the ignition switch, spark plugs and wires, coil pack, cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor, and fuel filter are all brand new. What else could be the issue?

mod edit: Threads merged. OP please keep all posts regarding this problem in one place, it helps people help you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
2000 3.0L single overhead cam I tried to upload a video it would show the problem in detail but this site wont let me

21 - 37 of 37 Posts