Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had to repace the fron tires twice now because of extreme wear on the inside of the tire. I have taken the car to the same place and have gotten a alignment each time. Today i took it in to them to get the tires replaced a gain and asked what the cambers were at. the left -.7 and the right -1.0, they told me this was within Ford's tolerance. Is that correct or am i being taken for a ride? i also had the ball joint and tie rod replaced by them last year. What is the correct setting for the camber?

thanks for any help you can give me.

Robb

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
SPECIFICATIONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item LH RH Total/ Split

Alignment Specifications — Front

Caster 3.8° ± 1.0° 3.8° ± 1.0° 0° ± 0.85°
Camber -0.5° ± 0.6° -0.5° ± 0.6° 0° ± 0.7°
Toe (positive value is toe-in, negative value is toe-out) — — -0.20° ± 0.25°

Alignment Specifications — Rear (Four Door)
Caster — — —
Camber -1.0° ± 0.7° -1.0° ± 0.7° 0° ± 1.2°
Toe (positive value is toe-in, negative value is toe-out) 0.18° ± 0.20° 0.18° ± 0.20° 0.36° ± 0.25°

Alignment Specifications — Rear (Wagon)
Caster — — —
Camber -0.6° ± 0.7° -0.6° ± 0.7° 0° ± 1.2°
Toe (positive value is toe-in, negative value is toe-out) 0.18° ± 0.20° 0.18° ± 0.20° 0.36° ± 0.25°

General Specifications Item Specifications

Clear vision (negative value is counterclockwise) -1.2° ± 3°

Ball Joint Radial Play Ball joint — maximum 0.75 mm (0.030 inch)

Ride Height — Front (full fluids and fuel tank at least 1/2 full)

4-Door 713.3 mm ± 10 mm (28.08 in ± 0.19 in)

Wagon 710.4 mm ± 10 mm
(27.96 in ± 0.19 in)

Ride Height — Rear (full fluids and fuel tank at least 1/2 full)

4-Door 696.3 mm ± 10 mm
(27.41 in ± 0.19 in)

Wagon 702.8 mm ± 10 mm
(27.66 in ± 0.19 in)

Torque Specifications Description Nm Lb-Ft

Front subframe mounting bolts 103 76
Tie-rod jam nuts 55 41
Upper strut mounting nuts 35 26
Rear control arm in board mounting nut (4-door) 80 59
Rear control arm to spindle nut (station wagon) 80 59

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply. It looks like based on the numbers they gave me that when they did the alignment 4 months ago it was not within the allowance and they should have adjusted it. Therefor they should be paying for these new tires.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Well good luck with the tires.
For the record the rear tires should toe in and the fronts should be near 0 degrees of camber with toe out.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
FYI: your bill is going to be expensive because the shop is going to have to drill the strut towers and physically adjust the strut mounting plate to adjust the camber. This is in addition to the normal alignment fees.

Taurus does not have camber bolts like other cars do. How many miles are on your suspension? it might be time to put in quickstruts. if it is over 100K it is time for quickstruts all the way around.

Your car was in spec for the camber

Front left -0.5° ± 0.6° (+.1 to -1.1)
front right -0.5° ± 0.6° (+1 to -1.1)
total split 0° ± 0.7° (+0.7 to -0.7)

The shop could slide the subframe/ engine cradle around to even out the camber to -0.9 each but it will not effect the wear that much. What is your rear camber? What millage do you rotate your tires?
As cars age/ increase in mileage the suspension wears out and the car sits lower and thus increases neg camber on Taurus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyones comments. I have gotten them to replace one of the tires for free. based on the fact that it is within the specs for ford, and not comfortable with there response to redoing the camber plates of course the cost. I am trying to figure out the other possible causes. The car has 110,000 miles and I rotate the tires every three months. Any help?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Toe can cause wear too on one side of the tire though it is usually uneven wear.

The Taurus is susceptible to the camber problem. As long as the bearings, ball joints and tire rod ends are good there isn't much you can do but drill out the strut plates. Yo do not necessarily need to hog out the holes. Then the strut plate gets riveted back into place.

This is what a good shop should be doing if they align it and you still get wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts