Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out for a drive today and while I was out driving, my Battery light came on and stayed on. Up until now, the battery light would come on whenever I was accelerating fast. It started today going on at lower RPMs than normal, and then it started doing it whenever I was accelerating at all, but would stay off at idle. I have driven probably 25 miles since, with no problems, and it starts right away with no hesitation. The car has 135k on it and Ive owned it for about 5 months.

Any Ideas on this? Bad battery and or alternator?

A couple notes: It has been warmer lately, yesterday was almost 50...so I cleaned the car, including the engine (which I never usually do). Today it was raining and cold, almost in the 30s. It might have even been freezing last night.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
The brushes in the alt are worn out. Either replace the brushes ($5 and 10 minutes time) after the alt has been removed, or get a QUALITY reman alternator (no cheap AZ junk).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The brushes in the alt are worn out. Either replace the brushes ($5 and 10 minutes time) after the alt has been removed, or get a QUALITY reman alternator (no cheap AZ junk).
Hmmm...ok. Is it something that is urgent, or can it wait for a hundred miles? Is the battery still charging?

And would a used alternator be a good idea? I can pick one up for $40.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Iirc, on the rear of the alt., remove some torx screws to remove the voltage regulator exposing some more torx screws to remove the brush assy. Brushes used to be dirt cheap at adv. auto, probably any parts store or auto elec. shop.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iirc, on the rear of the alt., remove some torx screws to remove the voltage regulator exposing some more torx screws to remove the brush assy. Brushes used to be dirt cheap at adv. auto, probably any parts store or auto elec. shop.
Is that in a 2000-07?

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Dunno. I havent messed with an alt since the early to mid 90s except to r&r. I dont have anything newer than a 99.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It sure sounds like the alt is bad. If the light is on then it is not charging the battery and you'll soon be stuck somewhere when it won't start.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I drove it for about 75 miles more before the electronics started freaking out and finally shut down. (The engine stayed running.) Had enough to time get it to a shop... and they confirmed that the alternator was bad. $240 to fix, including a reman alternator with a 3 year warranty. Oh well, all in the line of duty for a car owner..Should be fixed this afternoon. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts