Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I recently found a red 2000 SVG that I will be taking possession of in a few weeks. The vehicle is currently owned by a grandma who had the car in California until very recently. As such, the car has 44,000 miles on it, and zero rust. Living in a road-salt state, this was a miracle find. It is very clean inside and out.

Anyway, I quickly found this forum, as there are some essential things I think I need to do to make this car road-worthy for my kids, as this will become their vehicle to drive back and forth to school, hobbies, etc. I've spent the last couple of weeks reading everything I can in here, and I think I have a good idea of what I need to do, but I thought I would put my list in front of the experts as well for advice. Keep in mind, that my objective is a safe ride for my kids, not something I can compete with on the track - discussions here seem to move to racing quite often for some reason. :D

1. This car never had the recall issue with the coil springs addressed. The springs are intact at this point in time and there is a plate supporting the coil/struts, but is not the safety shield that you can see pictured here: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/att...e-front-struts-2000-taurus-carspring0308r.jpg

Clearly this safety issue #1, but I am not sure which way to go on this. I could:

Since I am getting under the car, I might as well do all 4 at the same time. Given my objective of "safety", any thoughts on which way to go?

2. Brakes; when I test drove the vehicle, it was clear that the braking leaves a lot to be desired. I plan on replacing the front brakes with the 11.6" package (rotor, ceramic pads, brackets) that is detailed extensively on this forum (e.g. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/118...-completed-11-6-front-disc-brake-upgrade.html).

I am less clear on what to do with the rear brakes. I abhor drum brakes, but alas, that is what this vehicle comes stock with. My choices are:

• Turn the drums, replace the pads
  • Upgrade to discs
I don't think an upgrade is necessary, because of the $$$ involved, and it doesn't necessarily align with my objective. I am interested, however, your thoughts on if this upgrade would materially improve the safety/handling of the vehicle.

So, that's what I'll start with. Thanks to all of you for the good information in here, I think I'll be utilizing your good advice in here for years to come.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
^ Might contact a ford dealer and have them check their oasis network for any outstanding recalls on your vin.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Hi folks. I recently found a red 2000 SVG that I will be taking possession of in a few weeks. The vehicle is currently owned by a grandma who had the car in California until very recently. As such, the car has 44,000 miles on it, and zero rust. Living in a road-salt state, this was a miracle find. It is very clean inside and out.

Anyway, I quickly found this forum, as there are some essential things I think I need to do to make this car road-worthy for my kids, as this will become their vehicle to drive back and forth to school, hobbies, etc. I've spent the last couple of weeks reading everything I can in here, and I think I have a good idea of what I need to do, but I thought I would put my list in front of the experts as well for advice. Keep in mind, that my objective is a safe ride for my kids, not something I can compete with on the track - discussions here seem to move to racing quite often for some reason. :D

1. This car never had the recall issue with the coil springs addressed. The springs are intact at this point in time and there is a plate supporting the coil/struts, but is not the safety shield that you can see pictured here: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/att...e-front-struts-2000-taurus-carspring0308r.jpg

Clearly this safety issue #1, but I am not sure which way to go on this. I could:

Since I am getting under the car, I might as well do all 4 at the same time. Given my objective of "safety", any thoughts on which way to go?

2. Brakes; when I test drove the vehicle, it was clear that the braking leaves a lot to be desired. I plan on replacing the front brakes with the 11.6" package (rotor, ceramic pads, brackets) that is detailed extensively on this forum (e.g. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/118...-completed-11-6-front-disc-brake-upgrade.html).

I am less clear on what to do with the rear brakes. I abhor drum brakes, but alas, that is what this vehicle comes stock with. My choices are:

• Turn the drums, replace the pads
  • Upgrade to discs
I don't think an upgrade is necessary, because of the $$$ involved, and it doesn't necessarily align with my objective. I am interested, however, your thoughts on if this upgrade would materially improve the safety/handling of the vehicle.

So, that's what I'll start with. Thanks to all of you for the good information in here, I think I'll be utilizing your good advice in here for years to come.

Ford's spring break was limited to rust belt states. If you move a car into the rust belt states, maybe they will add the shields. Their purpose is to keep the broken spring from going into the tire. It also keeps the sand being thrown from the inside of the tire from blasting the spring, cutting through the plastic coating at a critical location. The issue is limited to certain tire sizes and offsets.

My '01 was done but the damage was already done. Spring broke anyway and the coating was cut through and it rusted inside the coating, reducing the spring diameter at a local area. Thus it broke, but I head it and got it before the second break.

Picture attached.

-chart-
-chart-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts