Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was fine until today. it was running great, i parked it, and when i tried to restart it later nothing happened. i turned the key all the dash lights and radio and everything electrical worked fine but when i turned the i got nothing. no click or anything just dead. i tried removing and replacing the relays and nothing. then it started again. i thought it was all better. i got about 100 yards down the road and it went dead while i was driving, i tried to restart and got nothing again. i did the same with the relays, (not knowing if it helped or not) waited a couple of minutes then it started again. what could be doing this? i'm nervous about going anywhere.

·
Registered
834 Posts
It sounds like it could be an electrical issue....but don't hold me too it...If I were you, I would check the wires at the battery and the starter for damage or corrosion.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
And check the other end of the big battery cables as well.

Do you have PATS and a Theft light? If you do, and you have a key with a chip, you might see what the Theft light is doing after you turn the ignition to ON (not all the way to START), next time it won't fire. My 04 manual says this:

Automatic disarming
Switching the ignition to the 4 (ON) position with a coded key disarms
the vehicle.
• The THEFT indicator will illuminate for three seconds and then go out.
• If the THEFT indicator stays on for an extended period of time or
flashes rapidly, have the system serviced by your dealer.[/b]
The manual also has this deathless prose:
Note: Large metallic objects, electronic devices that are used to
purchase gasoline or similar items, or a second coded key on the same
key chain may cause vehicle starting issues. You need to prevent these
objects from touching the coded key while starting the engine. These
objects will not cause damage to the coded key, but may cause a
momentary issue if they are too close to the key when starting the
engine. If a problem occurs, turn the ignition off, remove all objects on
the key chain away from the coded key and restart the engine.[/b]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it not only didn't start, but died when i was driving it. then didn't start again. while i was driving it just went dead, so it can't be a starter issue.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (hweeksjr @ May 5 2009, 05:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=723088
it not only didn't start, but died when i was driving it. then didn't start again. while i was driving it just went dead, so it can't be a starter issue.[/b]
:confused:

Nobody mentioned starter. fonicsmonkey brought up the main cables, which (if corroded one end or other) would totally result in your symptoms. I brought up the PATS key, which if the transponder is behaving badly, could result in most of your symptoms...

??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts