Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2000 Sable w/ 98k mi for my daughter and after many frustrating repairs to the engine I changed the transmission fluid and filter just to be safe. Everything was working before but now 90% of the time reverse does not full engage and slips severely. Fluid is right on the money. Any suggestions, guidance, help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
A few things to double check-Did the old filter match the new filter? Did you make sure that the old O-Ring was removed? Are you certain that the correct type of fluid was used? Did you examine the old fluid for contaminants? Somewhere in these forums would be more detailed information on where you go from here.

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
^^^^ Agreed

Common for the old filter seal to come off the filter and stay stuck in the tranny when removing the filter.

Did you use Mercon 5 fluid? The older spec Dexron III / Mercon fluid will cause issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the ring did stick but I got it off and the filter was the same. I used Merc 5 and there was the typical sludge but nothing then what I've seen in other vehicles with 100k. Luckily there were no concerning metal shavings.
Perhaps was I supposed to do dome type of pressurized refill or something else I may have missed?
Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It would seem as if the problem has to be related to changing the transaxle fluid and filter, too much of a coincidence. I have done this job a couple of times, recently watched a couple of YouTube videos and it seems as if it takes good pressure and couple of whacks to make sure filter is fully seated. My filter always came off with the I believe green filter seal remaining and required some persuasion with a pic or screwdriver to remove. I wonder if the filter is not fully seated??? In 2006 I drained, changed the transaxle filter, cleaned the pan, reinstalled, added fluid was done. Felt pretty good with my job, then spotted the magnet from the pan sitting on the work bench. I have found that using a fluid pump I can remove most of the pan fluid, making the job of dropping the pan far less messy. Had to repeat my job to replace the magnet, don't think I'll make that mistake again. Good luck.

Not sure of the engine, mine is the overhead 12 valve engine, Vulcan. Some other problem areas to watch, keep the cooling system clean and flushed, build up of rust, heater core problems. Prone to timing chain cover leak. Also cam synchronizer problems, chirping at cold starts. If you have the Duratec don't look to me for advice.

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I did that magnet thing one time on a Taurus, it was not a happy experience.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
It would seem as if the problem has to be related to changing the transaxle fluid and filter, too much of a coincidence. I have done this job a couple of times, recently watched a couple of YouTube videos and it seems as if it takes good pressure and couple of whacks to make sure filter is fully seated. My filter always came off with the I believe green filter seal remaining and required some persuasion with a pic or screwdriver to remove. I wonder if the filter is not fully seated??? In 2006 I drained, changed the transaxle filter, cleaned the pan, reinstalled, added fluid was done. Felt pretty good with my job, then spotted the magnet from the pan sitting on the work bench. I have found that using a fluid pump I can remove most of the pan fluid, making the job of dropping the pan far less messy. Had to repeat my job to replace the magnet, don't think I'll make that mistake again. Good luck.

Not sure of the engine, mine is the overhead 12 valve engine, Vulcan. Some other problem areas to watch, keep the cooling system clean and flushed, build up of rust, heater core problems. Prone to timing chain cover leak. Also cam synchronizer problems, chirping at cold starts. If you have the Duratec don't look to me for advice.

Scott
I have 2 of suction bottles. One for brake bleed, and one for oil. Use for tranny drain, PS fluid drain, and small engines oil change. I think there are 4 small engines in my shed. I can suck 2Q of fluid out of the tran in about 30 seconds. For vacuum I use my small air compressor and remove the air in filter and use that vacuum. Works great. And have 4 vehicles to maintain.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts