Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 1996 Sable GS, with a vulcan. The motor has been pissing me off, and the transmission is getting jerky as well. I have located a 2000 vulcan, and tranny... will this work? What will I need to make it work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, I know that... I was just wondering if they are identical, or atleast close enough to work without extensive mods.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you strip the engine down to the basic longblock and hang your parts on it, it should work, as for the trans, i'm not sure. i do know there is a couple different trans used, youd have to make sure the electronics are the same. lot more PCM control on the later ones.

to make it all work, i would get the subframe/chassis and all, plus ther wire harness and pcm, pray to mr ford that the pcm wouls communicate w/ the GEM, HEC, ETC.

second thought, you're probably better off trading up too a GEN 4, and be done w/ it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by loveroffords@Dec 29 2003, 12:05 AM
If you strip the engine down to the basic longblock and hang your parts on it, it should work, as for the trans, i'm not sure. i do know there is a couple different trans used, youd have to make sure the electronics are the same. lot more PCM control on the later ones.

to make it all work, i would get the subframe/chassis and all, plus ther wire harness and pcm, pray to mr ford that the pcm wouls communicate w/ the GEM, HEC, ETC.

second thought, you're probably better off trading up too a GEN 4, and be done w/ it.
Yea, I can get the motor and tranny combo for 300, thats why I asked though.

Hmmm....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I've heard, the GenIII SHO had problems with the cams at around 80k, which most are reaching that are for sale. They are also expensive. Not to mention the fact that I just bought this gen III sable for 1800 bucks and got burned, now I need to fix it.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I think what loveroffords said is the right way to go.

But you should be able to use the heads too. Just strip down the engine to the bare essentials, leaving all the hard items in place. With both engines out of the car and sitting nex to each other you can tell what needs to go where.

The intake manifolds are different, but your old ones should fit the newer engine.

I'd say it's worth it for $300 to make that engine/tranny work, especially if you don't have to worry about labor costs.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
yes, the motor will fit....but there are diffrences......so unless the motor is COMPLETE, (all accesories) then you will need to strip the motor down. in 2k, they lost butterflies, which means you will have to install them on the 2k motor, or you will have a cel light. The water pump mofed from the front to the rear of the engine (or from your view left to right looking at the engine) so all the hoses will be diffrent if you use the 2k pump or you will have a pully sticking out if you use the 96 pump. They changed from a coil pack to ignition coil on plug (6 seperate ignition colils, each on its own plug.

So yes they are the same block but accesories changed.

The list goes on. If you have any questions or want further detail, then call me

Brad

PS. i would not use the sho motor....to much fabbing, use a duratec!

X

·
0 Posts
Um...Brad, I believe you are talking about the duratec, while this guy is doing a vulcan swap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will the transmission work? My auto tranny right now is quirky, it has a HARSH 3rd to 2nd downshift when warm... unless anyone knows what that is, it's my only option (it probably wont completely stop working, but thats another story.)

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
LOL..........oops.........kinda missed that part!!!!

the only diffrence in that case would be the upper engine mount on the front of the engine that is not found on the 96. there may be other diffrences, but nothing tats a big deal..........

SORRY

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
When you get the new engine and tranny, make sure you take the pcm and all the sensors from the new motor. Other than that it should be a fairly simple, yet time consuming(if you're meticulous) swap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts