Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Important info: 2000 Ford Taurus, Wagon, Flex fuel, overhead valve., NO ABS breaks, 240,000 miles.

Problems: Failed Transmission after axle replacement.

Prior Symptoms issues etc: New tires, alignment shop said I need ball joints, tie-rods etc... original axles.

Skill level; Drive way repair capable.

Work done:
Replaced both CV axles, rotors, brakes, etc., one side complete and move to other side.

With front in air I rotated tires to assure spun freely. Rotated the drivers side forward, other side spun in reverse (may have been in "N" neutral on column. NO clicking or grabbing-lower to ground. Now for test drive.

Event Failure: Start engine, let it coast down to idle, pumped breaks to assure they made contact on new pads.

Put in "R", The tranny jumped violently, as if left and right side were fighting, it bucked, kicked and really expect more power to the drive-train (wheels) but I don't believe the brakes, which I was holding down, were even challenged. This lasted about as quickly as I could shut it down. There was a sound of gears grinding. If there was damage done in happened in first second kind of thing. Not just a mild jarring or thumping but an all-out raging of two bull's in the tranny/drive train. I shut it down. I checked tranny flued. Still full. Never lost any during axle changes.

Any ideas, thoughts?

possible issue?

I double, checked axles were in and seated.

did the pounding and jarring of the work done loosen something in the tranny that ended it's life?

After: I jacked up front, rotated tires, spun freely as before, no grinding, clicking or other issues noted.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
Important info: 2000 Ford Taurus, Wagon, Flex fuel, overhead valve., NO ABS breaks, 240,000 miles.

Problems: Failed Transmission after axle replacement.

Prior Symptoms issues etc: New tires, alignment shop said I need ball joints, tie-rods etc... original axles.

Skill level; Drive way repair capable.

Work done:
Replaced both CV axles, rotors, brakes, etc., one side complete and move to other side.

With front in air I rotated tires to assure spun freely. Rotated the drivers side forward, other side spun in reverse (may have been in "N" neutral on column. NO clicking or grabbing-lower to ground. Now for test drive.

Event Failure: Start engine, let it coast down to idle, pumped breaks to assure they made contact on new pads.

Put in "R", The tranny jumped violently, as if left and right side were fighting, it bucked, kicked and really expect more power to the drive-train (wheels) but I don't believe the brakes, which I was holding down, were even challenged. This lasted about as quickly as I could shut it down. There was a sound of gears grinding. If there was damage done in happened in first second kind of thing. Not just a mild jarring or thumping but an all-out raging of two bull's in the tranny/drive train. I shut it down. I checked tranny flued. Still full. Never lost any during axle changes.

Any ideas, thoughts?

possible issue?

I double, checked axles were in and seated.

did the pounding and jarring of the work done loosen something in the tranny that ended it's life?

After: I jacked up front, rotated tires, spun freely as before, no grinding, clicking or other issues noted.

Thank you for your time.
Are SURE you do not have ABS. Did not think they made G-4's that way. Sounds like ABS working.

-chart-

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
Chart, they did make some without ABS. The wifes 06 SE base model doesnt have ABS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are SURE you do not have ABS. Did not think they made G-4's that way. Sounds like ABS working.

-chart-
The only reason I expressed that fact of no ABS is and the rotation of the tires was free and clear is that there was no part of the ABS cables or cords jammed in those gears looking things at the knuckle.

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
^^^ That statement makes no sense...... Any car with ABS will have wheels that rotate just as freely as wheels on a car with no ABS. If you have the toothed wheel that looks like a gear with flat topped teeth at the knuckle, then your car has ABS.

FYI, never remove both half shafts at the same time or you will be dropping the transaxle and disassembling it to put the differential gears back in position.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for info in regards to replacing one axle at a time, which is what was done.

my new axles did come with the ABS gear looking hub and “per other posts”, they will work even though I don’t have ABS system. (Unless that info was in error?). It is the internet after all.

1. I am still pondering/searching for possible reasons for failure My impression of what may have caused this issue is the tranny was on the edge of death and it went.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe take the CVs back out and carefully inspect that they're the same as your old ones. Or even reinstall the old ones. Sounds like something's not engaging.
Whatever happened was clearly caused by something you did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts