Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Day All!

This is my first post, although I have utilized this forum in the past. I have several issues pertaining to my vehicle, that I'm curious if, anyone has experienced the same problems, can give me some advice:

1) Check engine light came on few months ago, P0174. I cleaned the MAF and then replaced the MAF, which did work for awhile (hesitations, stuttering, lack of power went away), but the light stayed on.
Recently, car has been stuttering, lacking in accel., idling rough and such. After some research, on these forums, I checked out the engine. I noticed that there seems to be a 'hissing' noise coming from the passenger's side of the engine, near the DPFE. Does that make any sense and should I look at replacing the DPFE or the surrounding hoses?

2) Car vibrates while driving, to the point where my kids sit in the back and giggle while saying "Ahh" because it vibrates their voices... Wife doesn't find it so funny :) But anyway, I was told this is probably the Inner Tie Rods, again, does this make sense?

3) Finally, while driving recently, I noticed that the steering wheel feels "loose" and as your turn it right or left it gets, just a little, stuck and with a very small amount of force "clicks or pops" and continues turning in the direction. Before it does the "click or pop (it feels like the actual steering wheel does the click or pop)" the car doesn't turn, only after will it start to turn. It is very slight, maybe only a couple degrees off center, so it hasn't greatly affected driving, just seems weird and not sure if it's tied into issue #2.

That all being said, the car is at 130k, hasn't ever had a tranny flush, power steering flush, tune-up, or anything along those lines. It was my grandmother's car that she passed on to me when she couldn't drive anymore. It did just have the brake system redone and has regular oil changes and coolant flushes. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Someone gave you some bad advice on #1. A P0174 indicates an incorrectible lean condition on bank 2 (front of car). The MAF sensor would affect airflow into both banks of the motor, not just one. 99% of the time on a 10 year old Ford this is due to leaking intake gaskets and/or PCV lines. You can spend time on diagnostics with a smoke machine, but the probability of finding very obvious failures while disassembling the intake is high enough to justify pulling things apart. The good news is it's not terribly complex or expensive if you do the work yourself.

#2 & 3 could be ball joints, tie rods, anything. It needs to be inspected and repaired, again a 10-year old Taurus may need a lot of front end parts replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response

Thank you for your response. As far as issue #1 goes, I was probably not completely informed with replacing the MAF, but I did it anyhow :/ Alright, so I'll have to have it checked out then, hopefully it's just the PCV leak, that didn't seem terribly complicated, or expensive...
As for #2, a mechanic mentioned the tie rods, I just wanted a confirmation on that assessment. And for #3, I assumed that it revolved around the issue with #2, or at least something in the front end.

Thank you again, I will delve further into these issues.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Can you get it over 60?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You

Yes, I am able to get the car over 60mph. Here's how it usually goes:
-Turn car on, let it warm up (i'm in the Northeast and it's winter time :D)
-Some mildly rough idling, not too bad but noticeable
-Put car in drive, press gas:
--From 0-20 there is a stuttering during acceleration, car accels sluggishly
--From 20-40 there is no "oomph", the power is just not there, however, car will continue to accelerate as intended. If i try to slam the gas pedal I will get same results and then, at some point, a "jerk" in acceleration, so I avoid doing that.
--From 40+ car seems to accelerate ok, there isn't a fast pickup, as I had been accustomed to with the v6 engines, however, car does accelerate and problem tends to be less noticeable at this point

**Note1** I haven't driven it on the highway or over 65 really, due to the tie rod issue and this check engine problem, i've overall avoided the highway, plus it isn't really required in my daily commute.

**Note2** I would also like to point out that the check engine light flashes consistently from when it's in drive until it's shutoff, this is a recent occurance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vac leaks causing problem #1
Is it possible that the leak can come from near the DPFE? That is where I seem to hear a distinct "hissing" noise. With my hands, however, I wasn't successful in locating an actual leak, but it was cold outside and hard to get in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts