Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put in an in dash car pc in there 2000 Taurus SE? Mine has analog climate controls & wanted some advice / help

Thanks
Zach

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
The last thing on earth I would add to a car is television or a computer. I drive an E250 all day at work, and the things I see people doing rather than paying attention to their driving is appalling. Please, do us all a favor and forgo the temptation!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The last thing on earth I would add to a car is television or a computer. I drive an E250 all day at work, and the things I see people doing rather than paying attention to their driving is appalling. Please, do us all a favor and forgo the temptation!
This will be my radio along with built in GPS as well as holding all of my music (no cds required)

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Has anyone put in an in dash car pc in there 2000 Taurus SE? Mine has analog climate controls & wanted some advice / help

Thanks
Zach
I have done one yet but from the research I have done into micro PC's it seems possible to build a CPU that will fit into a DIN slot and have a fold out screen.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Relocate the manual air conditioning contols above the ashtray or to the glove box & then you can get one of these. Theirs plenty less expensive if you look hard. But this dash mini computer active while driving? Is it even legal in your state?

2Din Car PC Mini ITX | Car Computer | Custom Gaming Computers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have done one yet but from the research I have done into micro PC's it seems possible to build a CPU that will fit into a DIN slot and have a fold out screen.
the "tower" wont be located in the dash only the screen will be the rest will be in the trunk or under the seats. i have heard some people on a different forum im on say that they make them (really expensive for just the screen) but they can brake fairly easly.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Well here's a good screen to work around if you can relocate your manual air contols and figure out the fiber glass skills. Since those double din pcs are $1k ish and break easy I am certain you can buy a used yet powerful laptop. Build a decent ventilated shock proof mount to hold it. Perhaps behind the seats? install a solid state drive and carefully wire a remote turn on to the laptops on/off switch on the motherboard & your good to go. Hmmmm might try this myself.

8" DSLR HD 1080p HDMI Car PC Touch Screen Video RCA AV VGA TFT LCD Monitor CA | eBay

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
the "tower" wont be located in the dash only the screen will be the rest will be in the trunk or under the seats. i have heard some people on a different forum im on say that they make them (really expensive for just the screen) but they can brake fairly easly.
It is possible to mount the CPU in something the size of a radio and store it in the dash, just need to get the right components.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is possible to mount the CPU in something the size of a radio and store it in the dash, just need to get the right components.
I dont know if you know alot about computers. But the one I want to build is a micro atx motherboard which its smaller than an ipad

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
With the mini-ITX boards out now, it is completely possible to build a PC that will fit in a DIN sized enclosure. The PC's we use for the MDTs in our squad cars now are built into a 7"x"7"x2" box that fits in the glove box with plenty of room to spare.

That said, there's nothing off the shelf for a double-din dash kit without converting to automatic climate controls. The conversion is far from impossible, but certainly isn't a simple plug and play affair. Your best bet may very well be to pick up a spare manual ICP from a junk yard, cut your hole and fiberglass/bondo/whatever it up to fit the screen you want to use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
9 Participants
madscientist
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing