Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SES, 24 Valve DOHC with 132k miles on it. I just posted another thread about steering noise but also have another problem now. When I am driving, stopped with the engine on or doing anything while the car is on, the RPMs jump up about 500 RPM. Its slight but its about every 5 seconds and is enough to make my car jump slightly if my brake isnt all the way down. Even if I am going 70 MPH on the highway, I can see and feel the jumps every time. Its annoying but also a little scary.

Now I have been reduced to placing the car in neutral at stop signs/lights to prevent it from jumping and smashing into the car in front of me. Has anyone ever heard of this or experienced this? I have no idea what it could be. I am due for an Oil change so I will go this weekend but I am not sure if I should mention it and get ripped off if its something simple.

Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
check out fuel injection system, vacuum leaks at manifold or hoses or could be a fuel or engine management system malfunction .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (sadistic @ Jun 3 2010, 10:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809112
check out fuel injection system, vacuum leaks at manifold or hoses or could be a fuel or engine management system malfunction .[/b]
Thanks for the response! My engine light has been on for years and its an EVAC issue or loose gas cap, they cant tell me which for sure. Anyway, this revving just started so you may be right. Any idea on it being a safety hazard or how much it could run me in cost? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Fuel vapor canister purge valve, the lines running to/from it, as well as the vapor canister itself. I would start there. My ex had a Focus that had the same problem, and it was those items. The gas cap and CEL lights were both on when those two parts failed at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (austex04 @ Jun 3 2010, 10:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809119
Fuel vapor canister purge valve, the lines running to/from it, as well as the vapor canister itself. I would start there. My ex had a Focus that had the same problem, and it was those items. The gas cap and CEL lights were both on when those two parts failed at the same time.[/b]
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely check this out. I appreciate it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts