Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Wondering if anyone has any ideas, on this one ? Currently, I have to manually hold the gas pump handle, so that the gas flow is very slow, to prevent the gas pump
from shutting off.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The vent lines can be clogged with some debris, though the issue is usually caused by the EVAP canister vent valve being stuck closed. The EVAP canister itself is usually OK.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Your charcoal canister is might be shot. I had the same issue and pulled one of the tubes off the canister and charcoal pellets began to fall out of the tube(Quick and easy way to check if this is your problem).

They are clogging the tube from the gas tank to the canister, or from the canister to the vent. This happens when the canisters internal plastic membrane gets ruined and allows the pellets to move into the vent tube preventing air from escaping from your gas tank.

Try pulling these tubes off and see if they are full of charcoal pellets. One is the vent tube that lets air out of the canister, the other is from the gas tank that lets fuel vapors from the gas tank into the canister to be absorbed by the charcoal before venting out, reduces pollution.

When you pump gas into the gas tank, it pressurizes the tank some. As the fuel displaces the air, the air has to go some where. If it has no where to go it prevents the fuel from entering until the pressure escapes through the inlet where you are pumping gas into, thus causing the gas pump to backup and automatically shut off.

There is a tube running from the gas tank to the charcoal canister. The fuel vapors are absorbed by the charcoal and than vented to the outside. This helps reduce pollution and increases gas mileage. When the car is running, the fuel vapors stored in the canister are sent from the canister to the engine to be burned as fuel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem when I fill up at Costco. The attendant came over to help and said that is a problem with the older cars. He said that Costco recently changed to a shorter nozzle on the pumps and that is when the problems began for the older cars. I don't have a problem at other stations.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you constantly overfill the tank, the charcoal canister fills with liquid fuel instead of gas vapors. Fill to the first stop and then no more. Eventually the canister will have only vapors and will work as designed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts