Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a problem finding a cause for the cruise control not functioning. All I have for reference material is a Haynes booki. The fuse is ok. cables look ok, no obvious wiring issues. There is nothing in the book about the relay or a control module. Not even locations given. Not in the cars owners manual either..The only thing it shows is a fuse for the speed control, but there has to be a relay and control module.
The car is supposed to have a speed control diagnostic mode but it will not run so I'm thinking relay or module.

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Cruise

I've been having a problem finding a cause for the cruise control not functioning. All I have for reference material is a Haynes booki. The fuse is ok. cables look ok, no obvious wiring issues. There is nothing in the book about the relay or a control module. Not even locations given. Not in the cars owners manual either..The only thing it shows is a fuse for the speed control, but there has to be a relay and control module.
The car is supposed to have a speed control diagnostic mode but it will not run so I'm thinking relay or module.
Not going to be easy. You can have the simple things:
Brake safety switch.
Clock spring or switches in the steering wheel.

Simple, not that they are easy to fix. Just sleepers in the mix.

Of course the brake safety switch would be the easiest to check and eliminate.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Like chart said, definitely check the brake switch first. Common failure point on 2000s, and was recalled on 2000 models too.

If you can't get the cruise diagnostics to work, I think you should pop out the steering wheel control switches (they are lightly press fitted into the wheel) just shimmy them out. Dissassemble them and use contact cleaner. Torx bits are needed to take the switches apart. Reinstall and see if that at least makes cruise work.

99 and older, as well as 04+ models have a better design for the cruise buttons so dirt, dust and other crud doesn't get caught behind the button switch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does that Haynes book include info up to the '04? ...I ask because I couldn't find one applicable to our car when I went to a major car parts store. I have been having cruise control issues also, but I think I have determined that it is connected to an input from/to the IAC because, even with the cc cable disconnected, I have a green cc light and... fuse number 27 is AOK. With the cc cable connected. I have high idle issues. Also, our turn signal cancelling is not working and has the associated loose tic tac sound from under the steering wheel horn pad, and that was also the reason I wanted to get ahold of that book for instructions to safely remove the horn pad. Not interested in creating an expensive white dust cloud. Does anyone know if that signal cancelling issue requires a change of the multi-function switch? Sorry for the slight thread creep....'Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming'...;>)
Thanks
Happy Father's Day, to all applicable.....;>)

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Clock Spring

Does that Haynes book include info up to the '04? ...I ask because I couldn't find one applicable to our car when I went to a major car parts store. I have been having cruise control issues also, but I think I have determined that it is connected to an input from/to the IAC because, even with the cc cable disconnected, I have a green cc light and... fuse number 27 is AOK. With the cc cable connected. I have high idle issues. Also, our turn signal cancelling is not working and has the associated loose tic tac sound from under the steering wheel horn pad, and that was also the reason I wanted to get ahold of that book for instructions to safely remove the horn pad. Not interested in creating an expensive white dust cloud. Does anyone know if that signal cancelling issue requires a change of the multi-function switch? Sorry for the slight thread creep....'Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming'...;>)
Thanks
Happy Father's Day, to all applicable.....;>)
Your clock spring may be broken.
Yes, it does have one in the steering column that connects all those little buttons to the steering column. In the old days they used three brushes on slip rings, but things are more complicated now.

In the Book of Haynes it is called Clockspring assembly on the page on cruise control.

-chart-

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chartmaker: Thanks for the input. Is it then possible that a broken clockspring could be associated with both the turn signal cancelling ...plus....the cc issue? Thanks!
What is the year coverage of the Haynes book....2000 - 2007?....and does it show how to safely remove that 'hornie' pad?....:>)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I wouldn't trust the Haynes/Chiltons for much of anything on a Gen 4.

Check around on eBay for the factory service manual DVD or paper form. Much better information to have on hand.

For turn signal failing to cancel, I would believe the MFS would be at fault. Cruise runs through the clockspring on it's own set of wires. the MFS does not interface with the cruise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts