Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2000 ffv with 60,000 miles on it. just bought 3 months for a great deal. my only problems are minor and might be due to the ffv. sometimes when i start the engine it starts to fire but flutters out and does not start. then i crank it again and it does not catch at all. i only crank it for a few seconds then it always fires on the third try. i asked another ffv owner about it and he had the same problem. it also has a brief loss of power when i turn a corner under acceleration. any ideas. i checked plugs and clean. scanned and no codes. ran 2 cans of sea foam fuel injector cleaner thru it. bought new pcv valve but could not put on in parking lot as need tools to get rubber hose elbow unstuck. did notice oil inside pcv valve. im wondering about fuel pressure as maybe my fuel pump is not up to spec.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Make sure that the fuel pressure regulator is not band remove the vacuum lines and make sure the gas is not present in the lines this is a sure sign fuel pressure regulator is bad

·
Registered
221 Posts
My 2000 ffv Taurus with ~72,000 miles has been hard starting since fall. It isn't too terribly bad for me; if it doesnt fire right up, I have to crank it for an couple seconds till it starts.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
My 2000 has 53,000 miles on it, and it starts fine. I'm wondering if your problem isn't the sensor that "tastes" the gas to see if you are running unleaded, ethanol, or a mix. Just a thought...

J

·
0 Posts
Just a thought... does it start right up if you put the key in the "run" position so the fuel pump starts up and gets the pressure up and leave it there for a couple of seconds, then try to start... This is just going off of 00Taurus's "taste sensor" theory - it might give the sensor time to check out the fuel... That's the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Youre problem is almost definitely fuel system related. Next time, try this: When going to start your car, turn your key to the ON position, so that the lights come on on your dash. Give the fuel pump a few seconds to prime. Dont start it yet. Now, turn it back off. Repeat this step a few times, about 3-4 times, then start it. If it fires right up on the first attempt, i would say its the fuel pump.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
havent noticed the problem lately. i to felt it is possibly the fuel pump slowly starting a slow death. but it always does start eventually. i have tried to give it more time to prime and taste gas, seems to be doing better. my last taurus 1998, had a fuel pump go bad. it would not start for the longest time but after about 20 attempt it would start. noticed that the pump was not making a noise as it was not priming. so instead of wearig down battery, i would just turn key off /on until i heard pump noise as it primed in the gas tank, then i would try and start and it would start right up.sometimes it took 60-70 key turns but that beat towing it.

i hear my 2000 ffv prime everytime and still it wont start sometimes but always on the third try. im not fixing till its broke!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts