Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2002 Mercury Sable with 44k miles. So far I'm very happy except I changed the oil pan gasket to find lots of metal shavings curled like cinnamon. I thought the deal was too good to be true. It's still running but prepairing for the worst I've found a new 2000 Duratec 3.0 crate motor.

I can see on the TCCA website that a 2000 Duratec is a hybrid and modifications would be required to fit in the 2002.

Can some one please clarify what modifications are required to do this swap?

Thanks,
RJ

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
my 2002 mercury sable with exhaust and a sct tune:

check the desription for details on the exhaust, i miss the way this car sounded so much, sounded like g35 with test pipes.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
my 2002 mercury sable with exhaust and a sct tune:

check the desription for details on the exhaust, i miss the way this car sounded so much, sounded like g35 with test pipes.
He wanted to know what it would take to fit a 2000 motor into the 2002.

As for what it would take, I am not 100% on what can be used.

·
Registered
374 Posts
IIRC the 2000 was a split-port engine with the aluminum intake and the 2002 is the oval port with the plastic intake.

Nautilus Performance sells a lower intake manifold that adapts split port heads to an oval port intake:

3 liter Lower Intake Adapter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Is this intake adapter the only modification required to pull off this 2000 duratec into the 2002 Mercury swap? Is there anything else I should know before hand?

Thanks again
RJ

·
Registered
374 Posts
Doh, scratch what I said. I just enlarged the picture of the adapter and realized it adapts oval port heads to a split port intake, which I can't find any reason why you would want to do that other than to keep the "cool looking" 2.5L SVT intake manifold.

Here is what I suggest, take the upper half of the 2002 engine and transplant it on the 2000 block. Keep the existing ECU and wiring harness. Blocks and rotating assemblies were the same for all years (When considering the 3.0 Duratec) and since you have shavings in the oil pan, something in the bottom end is wearing badly. So swap the blocks, but keep the same heads, intake and fuel system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts