Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2000 Duratec and I am looking to change the stock muffler out. I'm not expecting any performance increase, i simply want a nice deep sound.

One thing I don't want is an exhaust note that is overpowering or one that gets annoying when on the highway and such.

I've searched the forum extensively but there seems to be a variety of opinons as to what is best (as there should be).

Right now looks like the best choice would be a Flowmaster 40 DeltaFlow but does anyone have any experience with this on Duratec?

Basically, I want a performance tone but I don't want it to be so loud as to make the car annoying to drive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I don't know about the tones of any Flowmasters or Magnaflows or the like but I do know that mark (taurussetypes) has 2 RActive mufflers w/dual tips sticking out the rear of his '00, and it sounds absolutely mean, and thats with the "chipped" mad vulcan powahhh. If I'm not mistaken I believe he has also taken the resonator off.

·
Registered
517 Posts
welcome to TCCA :D :banana:

i have a magnaflow on mine i have some vids (click the link in my sig)

the magnaflow has a slight drone at highway speeds but not bad..check it out

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
If you are looking for something NOT ANNOYING, DO NOT GET A FLOWMASTER for the duratec. It will sound raspy as hell.

Flowmasters sound a bit better on the vulcan engines, as the tone is much lower than your high revving duratec.

Go for a turbo muffler, as offered by summitt, magnaflow, and others.

I know the summitt mufflers are real cheap, 15 bucks plus shipping on the site.

They sound pretty good. I am in the process of dualing my tec out, and I have 2 summit turbos ready and waiting.

-Damon

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by BocaTaurus2KSE@Sep 15 2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the info guys, now that I'm turning my attention to a magnaflow, would I take a performance hit if I went with a model with dual outlets such as this one?

3.0Cammer, what is the exact model of yours?

Thanks,
Mark
hey my names mark too!!

anyways, if you go with the dual outlet, you arent gonna suffer any power loss. its still the single straight though design, only split at the very end of the inside of the muffler. Magnaflow is a good choice, especially seeing as Ractive (my current mufflers) went belly up.

Make sure you post pics of your setup. The stock pipes are 2.25" diameter. you can remove your resonator if you want. I removed my 3rd cat and resonator, and did a 2.5" system to the back, and then split it into a 2.25" dual setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info Mark, I will sure post pics of my setup and my car as soon as I get it on which should be next week.

BTW, your car kicks ass :)

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I go to school in boca (fau), we could meet up and I'll let you hear what my 97 duratec sounds like with a flowmaster40 deltaflow and no resonator. If nothing else, you'll learn to appreciate your resonator.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by mikehawk@Sep 15 2004, 09:48 PM
I go to school in boca (fau), we could meet up and I'll let you hear what my 97 duratec sounds like with a flowmaster40 deltaflow and no resonator. If nothing else, you'll learn to appreciate your resonator.
Cool, I go to FAU too, what does your car look like, I've probably seen it around in the parking lot.

Yeah I've love to hear what yours sounds like, also would be cool to have a south florida meet someday.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i recently put a cherry bomb turbo II on my 99 duratec. (bought at Autozone for ~$18) i love it. lol it growls at me! :D when i get my paycheck i'm getting a cherry bomb glass pack put on in place of the resonator. I got that on sale at meijer for $5.30!! I said i didn't want my car to sound like a nicey-ricey lawnmower. as long as you get the turbo II, ur in good shape.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
i heard lots of good things about flowmaster 40s

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by BocaTaurus2KSE+Sep 15 2004, 09:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BocaTaurus2KSE @ Sep 15 2004, 09:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mikehawk@Sep 15 2004, 09:48 PM
I go to school in boca (fau), we could meet up and I'll let you hear what my 97 duratec sounds like with a flowmaster40 deltaflow and no resonator.  If nothing else, you'll learn to appreciate your resonator.
Cool, I go to FAU too, what does your car look like, I've probably seen it around in the parking lot.

Yeah I've love to hear what yours sounds like, also would be cool to have a south florida meet someday. [/b][/quote]
So when are you on campus?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by mikehawk+Sep 19 2004, 07:41 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mikehawk @ Sep 19 2004, 07:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mikehawk@Sep 15 2004, 09:48 PM
So when are you on campus?
[/b][/quote]
I'm at FAU on Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons around 2 to 4. I usually park in the new garage by the theatre. Hope I catch you around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts