Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi fellas, I'm new--never knew there was such a following for these cars-this is a great forum.

I have a question about a recent problem with my 3.0 duratec. It had been parked for a bit due to a evap leak that could not be diagnosed.

Recently a friend of mine tried to start it and move it to plow (I swear it was not me), and squirted ether in the intake. He went to start it and BAM...blew the plastic intake to pieces..I mean scattered like shrapnel. Car has 113k on it. Do you guys think it did some bad damage other than the intake?

I'm looking for a replacement now--I've read the aluminum ones wont fit-too bad since I can get one for $30. The plastic one is over $100. I planned on fixing and rereistering the car tomorrow--but will go another route if the possibility exists the head gaskets were blown.

I appreciate any advice you guys could give me. Thanks so much in advance. Looks like I'll be on here quite a bit.

EDIT: Does anyone know where I can look up a parts interchange? I'm trying to find a plastic intake for a 2000. someone told me today it was 2000 only? I'm guessing 00-05 would be the same correct?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Hi and Welcome! Most people use starting fluid the wrong way (too much & right down the throat). I would go on the premise that the composite shattered so easily (took & relieved the brunt of the force) that everything else is "probably" OK. Replace that first and take it from there. Also, tell your Buddy to get his wallet out...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I'm hoping that is the case. I sure wish that the aluminum intakes were a direct swap, as there's one at the local junker for peanuts--and I know my buddy would hand me $30 no prob, but the $120 they want to order a used plastic one is another story.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
It's just a bad idea in general to use ether in a gas engine if you don't know exactly what you're doing, it works better on diesel engines. I would tell him to pay for the parts and labour, even if I fixed it myself :p Time ain't free.

2.2 hours for labour @ $60/hour is $132 plus parts.

He should owe you over $200 after this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I hear ya. I would never use ether personally. But, I was storing the car at his house for free for the past 6 months. On top of the fact that I moved this past fall when I returned to school to finish my degree and he is nice enough to put me up at his place free of charge (former roommate) when I want to come to town. So, even though he is technically liable, I enjoy enough fringe benefits from the friendship to just eat the cost of the repair.

I came up this weekend to register the sable tomorrow and was greeted with this wonderful tidbit of info to deal with....I didn't want to be facing head gasket replacement tomorrow. The point was to save $$--but it doesn't always work out that way. His brother owns a dealership in town and only charges $35 an hour--that's one positive.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Can you get to a U-Pull-It junkyard? Would be cheaper...

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I hear ya. I would never sue ether personally. But, I was storing the car at his house for free for the past 6 months. On top of the fact that I moved this past fall when I returned to school to finish my degree and he is nice enough to put me up at his place free of charge (former roommate) when I want to come to town. So, even though he is technically liable, I enjoy enough fringe benefits form the friendship to just eat the cost of the repair.

I came up this weekend to register the sable tomorrow and was greeted with this wonderful tidbit of info to deal with....I didn't want to be facing head gasket replacement tomorrow. The point was to save $$--but it doesn't always work out that way.
Did he use those favours to his benefit when he had to break it to you?:

"Hey, dude, remember when I totally let you crash here for like a long time for free? Well, I blew up your car by accident and seeing as, you know... Anyway, sorry about that!" B)

Anyway, it's entirely possible that it blew a head gasket from that, but I kind of doubt it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha--no he didn't happen to break it to me that way. He did feel extremely bad though. I obviously was a bit ticked, but heck-I was staying at his place for the weekend for a 18 pack of bush so how much could I really complain. I will be eternally pi##ed if the head gaskets are gone. His arse will be getting a FSM, and a torque wrench and we'll be using his brothers service bay after hours.

I have no u pull it within reasonable driving distance. Nearest one is 150 miles away-and they will not tell you their inventory over the phone.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
You can't use starting fluid in the durtec intake, it will puddle in the plenum for the rear cylinder.

Why did he try using ether? Using it on EFI cars is not the same as old Carbs. On Carb cars it is used to get the car started and provided suction to draw fuel into and through the carb. The same draw doesn't happen with EFI.
A better trick if you need to prime the fuel system is with the key On, put a clear plastic tube from the test port on the end of the fuel rail into a plastic coke bottle. (To minimize splashing poke the tube through the cap.) Then useing a small screw driver poked through the tube and push the valve stem open. This will allow air to leave the fuel system, except for the little bit at the injectors.
Don't show your friend this though, he will find a way to set your car on fire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well called about 15 yards today, the only one that had a duratec intake was smashed. I ended up ordering one form Eiss brothers of Watertown NY fro the small sum of $125....ouch. I hope no pieces of the old plenum are in my head waiting to melt to the valves on startup....at that point heads will roll.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Well you already ordered the part, but any 00-03 UIM will interchange between the 00-03s. Also, while most have been taken care of, please make sure you had the 2000 recall performed on the PCM regarding the UIM blowing apart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks-I was previously unaware of the recall, but did see it last night after searching. I'll check at my local dealership to see if the recall has been performed. It has 113k, and no previous history of backfiring, so I think it has likely been done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well this is turning into a nightmare. I finally got the new intake plenum in, and had to remove/reinstall it 3 times. gashed an injector o ring first time and didn't see it until the fuel rail was pressurized. 2nd time was the repair of the o ring, but forgot to zip tie down the injector connectors since the factory tabs all fell out.

Third time was a cylinder 2 and 3 misfire-I said screw it and removed it to change the rear plugs. I still have a cyl 3 misfire,the car has fresh plugs, fresh oil, cleaned the maf, etc. I'm going to swap coils and see what that does. I hope that its not an improperly seated injector-I think I'll snap if I have to remove the upper intake again.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Check the connector to the injector. You might be able to use needle nose pliers to connect it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.