Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will an intake on a Gen4 that is plastic sound like you can hear a lot of air? I am checking for vaccum leaks and it sounds like air is coming from there. I was suggested to check for vaccum leaks and not sure if this is a normal sound or not.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Its tough to pinpoint exactly where sounds like that come from, but im pretty sure its normal.

-Damon

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sarah. that's what mine sounds like so I guess thats normal. Just trying to figure out how to fix my code without putting it in a shop.

Y

·
0 Posts
the sound is definatly normal, mine does it and every other one i've heard sounds the same

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
My vote is that it's normal

Mike
B)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make : FORD
Model : TAURUS
Year : 2000
Service Bulletin Num : 02M01
Date of Bulletin: JUN 01, 2004
NHTSA Item Number: 10007207
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:
EXHAUST SYSTEM: EMISSION CONTROL: GAS RECIRCULATION VALVE (EGR VALVE)
Summary: CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM 02M01 SUPPLEMENT #4. CERTAIN FORD 2000 THROUGH 2003 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A TUBE-MOUNTED EGR PRESSURE SENSOR - ADDITIONAL EGR PRESSURE SENSOR WARRANTY COVERAGE. *TT SUPPLEMENT #3. *MJ SUPPLEMENT #6. *TT

This sounds like my problem

·
Registered
359 Posts
When I first got my Taurus, I noticed that hissing sound. I thought it was a leak as well, but never found one.

I wonder how one would know if their vehicle was part of the above mentioned extended warrenty? I am getting an EGR code (1401), but I haven't gotten around to replacing anything as of yet.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Another way to check for a leak is to spray ether around the manifold and see if the engine starts to race. That is a bit easier than trying to see bubbles in those tough to see places. Dont have to use a lot either and dont spray it around your exhaust.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
[mix up some soapy water and spray around the intake. If you get any bubbles, then you've found your leak.

However, I suspect the sound is normal. ]

Don't use soapy water, cuz you won't get any bubbles. The key word here is "vacuum" leak - as in, the air is being drawn in, not blown out. Hence, no bubbles. The water idea is on the right track tho - use a garden hose to spray water around the engine - if there is a vacuum leak, it will suck water in and cause the engine to stumble. If you have a lean code, and a loud hissing noise, you likely do have a leak. (Don't worry, the water going in won't hurt it - it'll just be evaporated into steam and blown out the exhaust). Some hissing noise at idle is normal, because of the small amount of air being drawn in around the closed throttle plate, and the air passing through the Idle Air Control motor.

As for the warranty coverage on the EGR pressure sensor - call or go into the dealer with your VIN - they can enter that into the computer and tell you if that program applies to your car. That will not cause this particular problem however. That sensor is the most common one to fail on almost all Fords, and we at the dealer change tons of them. Most often, people don't even notice a driveablility concern, they just see the SES light come on. All that sensor does is tell the PCM that the EGR system is working, and how much flow there is, when the PCM commands the EGR valve to open. If the sensor reads too high or too low, the PCM doesn't know how much EGR flow is actually going into the engine, and this can cause symptoms like a misfire or rough running. It won't however, cause a lean code, or a hiss noise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts