Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to perform a complete (trans and torque converter) fluid change on a 2000 Taurus with Duratec 24 valve engine.

This is a more complete step by step instructional.

Supposedly there is a Ford TSB out that says never use a high pressure flushing maching which could damage the trans. This method is pretty easy and uses the transmission pump to fully expel all the old fluid.

This vehicle had 89,995 miles on it, and the fluid was black as used motor oil!

Parts used: Trans filter, pan gasket, at least 13 quarts of Mercon V, Liquid Wrench, axel grease, new pan bolts.

Tools required: jack stands, floor jack, expanding pliers (to remove stuck filter gasket), 1/4" torque wrench, 8 mm or 10mm deep well socket or extension, socket wrench. Possibly a #2 bolt removal socket.
long reach 90 degree bend pliers (to remove spring clip on transmission hose), 15 qt. oil drain pan (Blitz 11838, Autozone) , 18" funnel (Blitz 05034, Autozone)

1. Lift the front end of the vehicle and place jack stands under vehicle. The passenger side should be higher by an inch so that the transmission will be tilted slightly. Rest the car on the jack stands, I use heavy duty ones (6 ton each) for safety.
2. The pan has 19 bolts (8mm or 5/16" flange head, mine were rusted and some required a #2 removal socket (Craftsman). I replaced all the bolts (NAPA flange head, zinc chromate, 6mm x 16mm, 1.0P).
3. Spray the bolts with Liquid Wrench, remove several bolts from pan on rear and driver side. The idea is to drain the pan at the rear driver side corner. Begin loosening other bolts, so pan drops at the corner. Slowly work your way on both sides away from corner.
4. With pan completely drained and removed, pull off the filter. Determine if the rubber filter gasket remained in the tranmission (remove with expanding pliers). Replace with new filter.
5. Clean pan and magnet (replace the magnet in the exact position).
6. The Autozone trans filter comes with a new gasket and I used it. Dab axle grease in between every other bolt hole on pan and press gasket onto pan. Snug all bolts first to 25 INCH POUNDS then re-torque bolts to 50 INCH POUNDS in a cross fashion! (I use an electronic one, very nice to have.) The pan was leaking a little so I didnt want to reuse the old gasket. Lubricate each bolt hole before reinserting bolts to prevent misreadings on torque wrench.
7. Fill the trans with 8 quarts of Mercon 5.
8. The torque converter does not have a drain plug, so the fluid must be pumped out of the torque converter for a full fluid change (13 quarts). To accomplish this, locate the 3/8" steel tubing line running from left to right directly under the radiator. This vehicle had the factory auxillary trans cooler so only one line runs under the radiator, otherwise there are two lines running side by side. Using the long reach pliers, open and slide the spring clamp which secures the rubber hose onto the steel line (driver side of radiator). Remove the rubber hose. The steel line is the return line back to the transmission, fluid will not be pumped out of this line. The fluid will be pump out of the rubber hose and it is long enough to reach the drain pan. The factory auxillary cooler is located infront of the radiator, laying horizontally
9. Start the car, leave the car in PARK, quickly check to see in the fluid is being pumped onto/into the the drain pan. NEVER RUN the vehicle for more than 15 seconds at a time. Shut off the vehicle and add another quart. Restart engine and verify color of the fluid exiting the rubber hose. The fluid in this vehicle was very black, so it took 18 quarts total to flush the trans/torque converter completely and have bright red fluid exiting the hose.
10. While the car was running, in the first 10 seconds I shifted through all the gears (first make sure the wheels are not touching anything!) and returned it to Park.
11. Keep track of how much you pumped out. This is easy if you pay attention how much is going into the drain pan. I put in 15 quarts then reattached the rubber hose to the line and lowered the vehicle. I used the remainder 3 quarts to fill to the proper level on the dip stick. Don't over fill the trans, its better to underfill vehicle until it lowered to the ground, that way you won't have to pump out the excess. Since I drained the trans into the 15 quart drain pan and after draing the torque converter, once the drain pan was filled I knew how much remained in the system, by counting the empty quarts.
NEVER OVERFILL THE TRANS.

HAVE FUN!

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^ That is old news around here............. many of us have been doing it that way since the dawn of time.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
^+1. Click on the topic finder feature at the top of this page and scroll down to transmissions. Similar write-up by shoz123 (Paul Nimz). But thanks anyway for the tutorial.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry, for boring you to death Jeff, "since the dawn of time", slight exageration, not every one has all your knowledge with Taurus-es.
However, I posted it in order to save time for others, certainly not the the experienced Taurus mechanic.

I searched in the forums here and the Topic Finder and other forums, and I never found any concise instructions. Sure some say to pump it out, but very vague. You will find threads out there that will actually say there is a drain plug in the converter. Bit and pieces here and there, but nothing that told me how to identify the return line either. Some say disconnect the line at the transmission, I couldn't even see the line going into the transmission on this vehicle. The Topic Finder, if you actually read it, is inaccurate. So, perhaps others searching, hopefully will find this post helpful.

Have a nice weekend Sheila, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts