Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driver door would not open from the inside...handle and cable attachment (at the handle) was fine, however, after disconnecting the cable at the handle, it simply pulled out of it's housing ! the end was not frayed, and did not seem damaged. But there was no end cylinder attached to the cable at the latch end....was it there originally, and broken off?

Could not see the latch assembly without taking it out. Is there an easy fix? How does the cable attach at the latch assembly ?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The stupid plastic door handle probably broke...?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the handle was good, and the cable attached properly. The issue is the cable attachmennt on the other end, at the latch itself....do you know how that attachment works?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was not aware that it is attached to the lock release...but it's not attached to anything on the latch side...to be clear, if I detach the cable from the interior handle, the cable simply pulls out of the housing...It's not frozen, stuck, or sticking, just unattached at the latch end.

I actually removed the interior handle from it's bracket (see picture), and pulled the cable out...when I reached inside the door to feel the cable housing attachment, I could not figure it out?

Can you describe the attachment at the latch end of the cable?

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No...
The shield around the cable is secure and does not move, and it seems to be attached solidly at the latch end. The cable slides easily inside the shield.

I think I'm bad at describing the issue, so I'll try once more.

There are two components, the interior handle that you pull to open the door, and the latch itself on the end of the door. They are connected by a shielded cable.

The inside handle pulls a cable that goes to the latch. There is a shield around that cable that is attached on the latch side.

The reason I know this is because I removed the interior pull handle, and took the cable out of it's seat. I then pulled on the cable and it came out of housing so i was holding the 12 inch long cable in my hand, wondering why it was not attached to anything. The end of the cable that should be attached to something on the latch side was not frayed, and did not look like it has come loose, or broken.

Since I did not take the latch out, I didn't know how the cable attached to it. did it break? is there a clip? is a screw missing?

How do I get my door to open from the inside?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the latch control link ( shielded wire ) iirc has a barrel drum that attaches to the latch. the 2000 taurus is known for bad latches in cold temps. if you have been having the door not latch when cold i would replace the latch and lcl. if you cant find the lcl at a parts store then the local junk yard should have some

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I guess I'll go to the junk yard and get one.....however, I'm still unclear on the way the attachment is configured at the latch....Try back later tonight, I'll post pictures....

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Follow up....I was able to replace the cable alone, without removing the entire latch....only took a hour.......YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1 - 14 of 14 Posts