Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Sable Wagon LS with OEM sunroof
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I remove and replace the plastic cover between the steering wheel and the 2 piece covers for gear shift, ignition & tilt? I know how to remove the 2 piece covers.
The attached pictures show the shroud. In the junkyard, I removed one by breaking it. But what is the correct procedure?

Thanks
Leg Purple Human body Thigh Violet

Motor vehicle Font Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
484 Posts
Just checked it on my 2000 SES. It is indeed not like described in the Haynes manual.

As far as I can see you have to remove the lower part of that cover (underneath the steering wheel) first. In fact, there is a wide notch at the side of the steering wheel to put in a large screwdriver. Turning the steering wheel makes it easily accessible.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply. Ill look for the notch for screwdriver. I'm still thinking I'll have to remove the 2 piece cover and the wiper stalk to enable moving the the cover toward instrument cluster to access 4 nuts securing the airbag.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My answer to my question is here

Basically, open the access door and use a 7 mm or 9/16" socket and turn the pinion shaft 120 - 130 turns. The shaft turns the bolt that secures steering wheel & its bracket to steering column.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts