Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2000 Taurus has always pinged, no matter the octane we put in. So we have always driven it carefully, avoiding heavy load on hot days.

Anyway, cyl #2 started giving us problems around 120,000 miles.

The long story short is I pulled the rear head Saturday, and it looks like all of the exhaust valves are burnt. #2 is the worst, where it has failed, but the other two valves look not too far behind it.

My question is this: I notice coloration on the three channels on the lower intake that go to the rear bank (the problem head.) Was this engine prone to problems on the rear bank due to heat, where the channels on the upper intake are closer to the engine and likely to pre-heat more readily than the upper channels that go to the front cylinder head?

I'm having a head pulled from a junkyard tomorrow, and if the valves look good I'll be putting it in tomorrow night.

Thanks,
-Jim

·
Registered
402 Posts
My wife's 2000 Taurus has always pinged, no matter the octane we put in. So we have always driven it carefully, avoiding heavy load on hot days.

Anyway, cyl #2 started giving us problems around 120,000 miles.

The long story short is I pulled the rear head Saturday, and it looks like all of the exhaust valves are burnt. #2 is the worst, where it has failed, but the other two valves look not too far behind it.

My question is this: I notice coloration on the three channels on the lower intake that go to the rear bank (the problem head.) Was this engine prone to problems on the rear bank due to heat, where the channels on the upper intake are closer to the engine and likely to pre-heat more readily than the upper channels that go to the front cylinder head?

I'm having a head pulled from a junkyard tomorrow, and if the valves look good I'll be putting it in tomorrow night.

Thanks,
-Jim
Getting that junker head checked out for cracks and machined?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts