Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

20 Inch Rims

38K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Chris F 
#1 ·
I wanted to know if anyone has fit 20 inch rims on a Gen 4 (00-04) taurus. If so please tell me your bolt pattern and what company was able to do it for you, because as far as I know I will have to roll back my rear fender and also get a custom bolt pattern so I can fit the rims on my car. I also stopped by town far today and they told me that I can only fit 18s but when I went to superbuy tires they said 19s. Also what tire size should I get because superbuy tires said that I should get a 235/45/19 but I was thinking I should get 245/45/19 because 235 is way to thin, and of course if I do get the 20s I would get 245/45/20 please let me know anyones thoughts.

#2 ·
#3 ·
My thoughts:

1. Don't get 20" rims
2. Don't get 20" rims
3. Don't get 20" rims
4. Use the search function. There are a half-dozen posts already made about putting excessively ugly monstrosities on their Taurii.

#4 ·
Originally posted by moneymike@Jul 18 2005, 04:19 AM
I wanted to know if anyone has fit 20 inch rims on a Gen 4 (00-04) taurus. If so please tell me your bolt pattern and what company was able to do it for you, because as far as I know I will have to roll back my rear fender and also get a custom bolt pattern so I can fit the rims on my car. I also stopped by town far today and they told me that I can only fit 18s but when I went to superbuy tires they said 19s. Also what tire size should I get because superbuy tires said that I should get a 235/45/19 but I was thinking I should get 245/45/19 because 235 is way to thin, and of course if I do get the 20s I would get 245/45/20 please let me know anyones thoughts.
You can fit 20s. Although, most people get the wrong tires for it. You can fit 19s as well.

If you're going for the stylish gangsta look, I would go with a 245/30R20

If you wanna go 19, I would do a 235/35R19.

I've seen 20s on a SHO before... It doesn't look all that bad, as long as you have the correct series tire. Also, think about this... I chose 18s as the largest wheel size due to weight. Once you get into the 19s and 20s, you're looking at a whole new weight category. 18s are still pushing it, but mine aren't too greater then stock weight. About 19lbs each.

Sal

#5 ·
Originally posted by SableSal@Jul 18 2005, 01:25 AM
I chose 18s as the largest wheel size due to weight.

Sal
How is the ride quality and handling with the 18's?

MIke
B)

#7 ·
20's make cars look like Ghetto Pimp Cheese Ball CRAP!!!!!!!!!!
"Yo dawg check it.... I be rollin' on dem Dubs wit da' blingedy bling!!! Holla' atcha' boy, ya' heyah meh!!" Ya kin hayte da' game, but be haytin' da' playa' YO!

:headscratch: :rant: :thumbsdown:

#8 ·
235 isnt to "thin" ...Its the width of the tire...

the other number is the height to width ratio...

the "20" is self explanitory.

Personally I would go with 18's. They will fit the best and you'll keep tire costs down. I pay around $400 for a set of tires. My friend with 22's pays $1200 for a set.

I find that riding 225/40/18s gives me a ballance of looks, comfort, and saftey. They still become victim of low curbs and poor driveways.

18" rims max, 40mm offset is perfect for the taurus.

Keep in mind too, some places charge up to $25 per tire for mounting and balancing. Be sure its an expense you want to or can keep in your budget.

Tires under 40 to 50 height to width ratio often do not carry treadlife warranty's. Expect to replace the tires every 10-15,000 miles (if your a SANE driver). If your a pedal to the metal kind of person..expect not to see 8k out of your tires unless you pay over $150 a tire for 18's and I have no idea what for a 20.

Bigger wheels also weigh more. More weight = poor gas mileage and may even decrease your off the line power.

If you have ABS, keep the overall radius correct..if not you will set your speedometer wrong. If you have ABS, traction control, or variable steering that could create some problems as well.

For the record my rims weighed in aprox. 21lbs.

Check ebay for deals on rims. If you can find anything made by Arays I highly reccomend them. 3 out of the 4 were already balanced out of the box because the craftsmanship was so good.

I got mine for $400 plus shipping. My tires ran me near 400 as well. The reason I did this was because I wanted stock chrome rims...but these ended up being cheaper as I couldnt find any stock chromes for under $100 a peice.

Attachments

#9 ·

Attachments

#10 ·
I've seen 2 in my area w/ 20's and one is a wagon! It doesn't look bad if they rims don't just look like a mass of chrome, but alas the 2 that I spoke of in the area are this way and it dosen't look that great (in my opinion). Good Luck w/ you choice!

-C-

#11 ·
Originally posted by mwt+Jul 18 2005, 11:08 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mwt @ Jul 18 2005, 11:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SableSal@Jul 18 2005, 01:25 AM
I chose 18s as the largest wheel size due to weight.

Sal
How is the ride quality and handling with the 18's?

MIke
B) [/b][/quote]
I would say it's better, handling has increased greatly. Although going over rail road tracks is a killer, but then again, I do have the stiffer springs and struts...

Sal

#12 ·
Originally posted by tmonster@Jul 19 2005, 04:58 PM
...riding 225/40/18s...
This is not the proper overall height for a taurus that was originally equipped with 205/65R15's(25.5" OD) (any G1-G3 with stock 15's I beleive). 235/40R18(25.4" OD) or 215/45R18(25.6" OD) are nearly perfect OD matches. Your tires are nearly half and inch too short at only 25.1" OD. Your speedo and abs are upset with you. :p

Eric B)

#14 ·
I'm getting tired of this word ghetto but anyway. If you have the right rims 20s will look ok. The reasons why i wont do it is because most of the time you can't urn the wheel all the way without things rubbing.

I like this one. Not alot of crome.

#16 ·
Originally posted by 2000SlvrTaurus@Jul 24 2005, 06:16 PM
wHY DOES HAVING 20'S MAKE IT GANGSTA PIMPED OUT? i'm curious because i see alot of white Dr.'s with 20's on their Mercedes, Cadillacs, ect. are they too trying to be Gangsta. I don't think so , Come again low lifes
Just because it's a Benz or a Caddy with dub's makes no difference. Stoopid is still stoopid :wacko:

#17 ·
If I had the money best believe I would upgrade to 22"s or 24"s on the Blazer. I guess I'm into the whole big rim thing since 20"s aren't big enough on an SUV.

As for a Taurus I wouldn't put 20"s on it....I'd stick with 18"s or MAYBE 19"s.

#18 ·
Originally posted by jedhead@Jul 24 2005, 10:51 PM
I think that 20" wheels belong on semi's and not cars or SUV's. It just a matter of personal taste. You can put whatever on your car and be happy with it, but please don't expect people with different tastes to agree.
But it nice you gave a reason instead of
Ghetto Pimp Cheese Ball CRAP

#19 ·
This is not the proper overall height for a taurus that was originally equipped with 205/65R15's(25.5" OD) (any G1-G3 with stock 15's I beleive). 235/40R18(25.4" OD) or 215/45R18(25.6" OD) are nearly perfect OD matches. Your tires are nearly half and inch too short at only 25.1" OD. Your speedo and abs are upset with you. tongue.gif

Eric cool.gif
Calculator I used told me to use 225 40 18's. *shrug*

As for the speedo, its about 1mph off if that (tested)

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I used that....

Also 235/40R18 = $112 a peice for Kumho ASX's
215/45/R18 = Only 6 tires by all companys are made... starting at $198 a peice fore General's
225/40/R18's = $94 a peice Kumho ASX's

#20 ·
Originally posted by RocketFast321@Jul 24 2005, 06:25 PM
I'm getting tired of this word ghetto but anyway. If you have the right rims 20s will look ok. The reasons why i wont do it is because most of the time you can't urn the wheel all the way without things rubbing.

I like this one. Not alot of crome.
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6862/dsc039674xw.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url] [/b][/quote]
Are you BLIND? It looks like its got more ground clearance than a jeep wrangler! AHHH! :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.