Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may have seen in Jim's thread, we went to the local junk yard to see what they had gotten in, etc. I ended up getting some of the Continental chrome door lock caps. See below:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The big thing was me grabbing a column shifter from an early 90's Continental. The steering column cover on the one at the yard had already been torn apart so I compared how it looked to a gen4 column shifter where it attached to the actual column. They matched up so I put it in my dad's 03. It honestly was complete plug-and-play. It took longer to get the steering column shroud off than it did to swap shifters around.

I always disliked the column shifters in gen4's. The gen3's can pull the look off but it just looks out of place in a gen4. Plus with the other chrome accents in the dark interior it really fits in.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics... my Sony decided to give up, Nick's cannon's card is full and i lent my kodak out to somebody.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I am DEFINITELY doing that shifter mod! Very nice work Dave A+!!! :thumb:

Chrome door lock pulls look great as well B)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Awesome... but to be honest I was kinda hoping the mods would be for the... other car.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Why, that looks like the column shifter out of the Crown Vic I used to own. It really does add more definition to the horridly mundane stock shifter. Looks cool, too bad i have floor shift models....

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Excellent! :grin2:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I need to do the shifter swap, but want to use the black one. Is it pretty obvious how it goes together once the shroud is off?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Dude that shifter is awesome!!

I may do what Alex is doing, and try a black one on, for size. I wonder if the Chrome end caps are removable. :headscratch:

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Mar 22 2009, 10:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711310
I need to do the shifter swap, but want to use the black one. Is it pretty obvious how it goes together once the shroud is off?[/b]
It is very obvious what the shroud is off. You only need to take the top part of it off so the ignition doesn't need to come out. Just requires some finagling to get it off. I think I almost broke 1 of the plastic posts off the top part of the shroud but its still usable and is tight and secure.

Once the shroud is off you can take part of the boot off (it just unclips in two places) and move it slightly out of the way. Then at the base of the shifter you'll see it is held in place by a small metal rod. Lightly tap it with a hammer and it pops out. I used a small screwdriver to give it a little extra help once the hammer was of no use. I definitely recommend trying this out at a yard first to make sure you have it down pat. Let me know if you have any questions if you do decide to do this. :thumb:

If I didn't have other chrome things added into the interior already I would have gotten a gen1 or 2 shifter but the Continental shifter seems to fit in nicely.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I might do the Gen 2 shifter just because of my interior color if I don't just leave it stock. If I could get the chrome cap, that would be awesome - or if not, I might just modify a chrome shifter...prep it and spray it matte black to keep the chrome end cap.

Like Dave said, it really is plug and play, and way easier than we thought it'd be. If I do mine before anyone else documents it, I'll take pictures and post a how-to...even if I don't change the shifter itself, I need to take mine apart and replace the boot since mine's split.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Well I copied you guys....

I got all rear caps from crown vics and grand marquis since those looked better than the front ones

Ill admit it looks kinda weird at first on a G3 but the more chrome interior parts you have the better it can look, trust me on that ;) ... now to find a wood shifter with a chrome button....

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Mar 23 2009, 09:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711689
QUOTE (Stocker @ Mar 23 2009, 11:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711501
:notworthy:

QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Mar 23 2009, 12:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711351
I wonder if the Chrome end caps are removable. :headscratch:[/b]
The chrome one I got came off pretty easy. The black one won't budge though.
[/b][/quote]

Will the chrome piece sit over the black piece?
[/b][/quote]

Nope.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Hmm. Another trip to the junkyard is in order. More experiments must be conducted! :lol2:

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the positive comments, everybody! I've been driving the Taurus to work the past couple days and I really love the difference it makes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts