Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has just purchased 2 new tires and would like to know where to place them on her 98 taurus, front or rear.

Her other pair are about half worn and winter is coming before you know it here in MI!!:)

I know this has been covered before but I can't find the posts (and I'm a little lazy, to be honest)!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
My daughter has just purchased 2 new tires and would like to know where to place them on her 98 taurus, front or rear.

Her other pair are about half worn and winter is coming before you know it here in MI!!:)

I know this has been covered before but I can't find the posts (and I'm a little lazy, to be honest)!!
It would make more sense to put it up in the front, since it is front wheel drive.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know if you only get 2 winter tires your supposed to put them on the rear ,even if it's front wheel drive, to keep it under control and not swing out. So I imagine it would be the same with any tire and you want more grip on the back.

·
Registered
23,390 Posts
For what its worth, all major tire makers recommend the best pair of tires be mounted on the rear of fwd vehicles.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
For what its worth, all major tire makers recommend the best pair of tires be mounted on the rear of fwd vehicles.
I second this. New tires on the rear. ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
For decades I put best tires (and snows) on the front. I had no problems. However, I now think you should have 4 snows, not 2. Regarding summer tires on summer roads---no reason to put the best on the rear.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, especially mediarocker for the actual report!!:)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
SHOZ123 posted a video from the Goodyear (?) test track of a white and a blue Taurus running the tire test (new on front, worn on rear and vice versa). Conclusion was, as said, in new in the rear :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts