Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been having a lot of problems getting my Taurus into gear and thought my tranny was slipping. Turns out its a bad VSS. Took my taurus to a transmission shop. Took a test drive around the area with the mechanic and he said 250 parts and labour and it would take one hour. I get back to the shop and ask for an estimate and he does some running around and comes back and says it'll take 2.7 hours to put the new VSS in it and it'll cost roughly $300 not including the shipping he says that it will take to get the part to the shop. He claims its an obsolete part and only 6 dealers have it and it'll take 3-4 days to get in.

Am I getting ripped off ?

My car is a 2000 Ford Taurus SE.

Imageshack - 001sth.jpg - Scanned copy of the estimate.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hmm! The part must be obtainable easily (maybe not OEM). 2.7 hrs labor is total BS! Bend over Rover and let the 'Rip Off Artists' take over.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hmm! The part must be obtainable easily (maybe not OEM). 2.7 hrs labor is total BS! Bend over Rover and let the 'Rip Off Artists' take over.
+1

I was able to get a new VSS from Partsource (Canadian Autozone). It was just the sensor, not the gear, so see if you can re-use your gear. A new gear from Ford is the same cost as the sensor, and it'll be special order. And the swap will take you an hour yourself if it's your first time. 15-20 min if you know what you're doing. It just involves reaching in at an awkward angle with a ratchet.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I could MAYBE see 2 hr labor on an Essex where the Y pipe has to come down, but not on any other Taurus / Sable. As noted above, an hour max the first time you do it yourself. 20 minutes the next time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We use Motor/Alldata labor time guide and if it's the DOHC motor/trans it says 2.7 hours labor and parts about $52.
I checked the Ford Service Manual and on that vehicle it doesn't look like a very simple job to take on if you never have before.
2.7 Hours is flat rate labor meaning the tech gets paid 2.7 hours and you get charged for 2.7 hours if it takes him 45 minutes or 20 hours to complete. I am actually surprised to see a shop that ACTUALLY uses the time in the labor guide. Thats called being "Honest".

Here is the info from the service manual:

SECTION 307-01B: Automatic Transaxle/Transmission — AX4N
2000 Taurus/Sable Workshop Manual
IN-VEHICLE REPAIR
Procedure revision date: 12/16/2003
Output Shaft Speed (OSS) Sensor — 3.0L DOHC

Special Tool(s)
Holding Tool, Flywheel
303-544 (T96P-6375-A)

Removal and Installation
  1. Disconnect the output shaft speed (OSS) sensor connector.
  1. Rotate the belt tensioner clockwise and remove the drive belt.
  1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
  1. Remove the RH front wheel. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04.
  1. Remove the RH front inner fender splash shield.
    • Remove the screws and the pin-type retainers.
  1. Remove the torque converter inspection cover.
  1. Use the special tool to hold the flexplate.
  1. NOTE: The pulley has a reverse thread.
    Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  1. Remove the stator and voltage regulator connectors.
  1. Remove the generator mounting bolts and remove the generator.
  1. NOTE: To remove the sensor, you must access from the passenger side of the vehicle.

Remove the output shaft speed (OSS) sensor cover.
    1. Remove the connector.
    1. Remove the bolt.
    1. Remove the cover.
  1. Remove the output shaft speed (OSS) sensor.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I had the dealer replace the VSS on my Essex bacause I couldn't budge the exhaust manifold flange nuts on the back side. I ended up busting the studs off whan I took the y-pipe down to change the head gaskets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
We use Motor/Alldata labor time guide and if it's the DOHC motor/trans it says 2.7 hours labor and parts about $52.
I checked the Ford Service Manual and on that vehicle it doesn't look like a very simple job to take on if you never have before.
2.7 Hours is flat rate labor meaning the tech gets paid 2.7 hours and you get charged for 2.7 hours if it takes him 45 minutes or 20 hours to complete. I am actually surprised to see a shop that ACTUALLY uses the time in the labor guide. Thats called being "Honest".

Here is the info from the service manual:

SECTION 307-01B: Automatic Transaxle/Transmission — AX4N
2000 Taurus/Sable Workshop Manual
IN-VEHICLE REPAIR
Procedure revision date: 12/16/2003
Output Shaft Speed (OSS) Sensor — 3.0L DOHC

Special Tool(s)
Holding Tool, Flywheel
303-544 (T96P-6375-A)

Removal and Installation
  1. Disconnect the output shaft speed (OSS) sensor connector.

1. Rotate the belt tensioner clockwise and remove the drive belt.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.

1. Remove the RH front wheel. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04.

1. Remove the RH front inner fender splash shield.
    • Remove the screws and the pin-type retainers.

1. Remove the torque converter inspection cover.

1. Use the special tool to hold the flexplate.

1. NOTE: The pulley has a reverse thread.
    Remove the crankshaft pulley.

1. Remove the stator and voltage regulator connectors.

1. Remove the generator mounting bolts and remove the generator.

1. NOTE: To remove the sensor, you must access from the passenger side of the vehicle.

Remove the output shaft speed (OSS) sensor cover.
    1. Remove the connector.
    1. Remove the bolt.
    1. Remove the cover.

1. Remove the output shaft speed (OSS) sensor.

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
It's not a DOHC motor/trans. How long does it take according to that book for a normal 2000 ford taurus SE ?

Irregardless of what the book says should It really take 2.7 hours for a reputable transmission shop to complete ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, according to the Alldata vs. Ford manual, there appears to be 2 different sensors for each transmission. One of the sensors has a small gear similiar to the cam synchro. The other does not. BUT according to the Ford service manual the "VSS" is called an Output Shaft Speed Sensor.
DOHC motor = 2.7 hours
OHV motor = .7 hours.
Did they retrieve any diagnostic trouble codes relating to the sensor? According to the service manual, any abnormalities or errors in readings will activate a code.

Just guessing, If someone has never done this repair on this car and they are a pretty expierienced tech, then I would say it shouldnt take them anymore than 1.5-2 hours.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hmm! Shop's favorite money maker is to charge you $80 for a fuel filter replacement. They are all frauds to the little old lady! However I don't blame the poor underpaid technician gett'n $12 an hour for the dirty work whilst his shop is charging his work at $100 an hour!

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is why a good mechanic at a dealership can make a good living. He can make 12 to 16 billable hrs in an 8 hr day. It is hard on the customer to pay 90.00 hr to the dealership. The dealership has more mechanics fresh out of tech school that are no better than the average shade tree guy (or much worse) but plenty of parts and tools to throw at a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Exactly

Thats why I have MY "PIT CREW at STEVE'S" do everything now!!! A ton of times I've taken my '98 TECH with 147K to him and he did his magic for free!!! Sometimes you gotta pay the bucks. Support your local independents! Replaced wheel bearings for about $190 each of 2 times it needed done. I tried on the first one and was gonna replace both bearings, the half shafts, and the pads and rotors since I had the car up in the air and pretty much eliminate many of the places that Famous Taurus Front End Clunk comes from. Couldn't get the ball joint apart with the loaner tools from AZ. Struts and springs were replaced two years ago. I took it to Steve and he did me good! Didn't need 1/2 shafts , pads, or rotors! After changing both front wheel bearings 99% of the front end noise is history! These Taurus front hubs are weird! The right one made noise for over 20K but not scary. The Left one sounded weird for 1K until I was afraid to drive it over 35MPH! The front end now sounds so good at over 80 mph that I am now listening for sounds from the rear wheel bearings! I just want to get over 200K out of a car! I drive a lot now with the radio off just to hear the quietness of this Bull!

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
The labor is a standard charge. You should be able to get the part from NAPA or some other store rather readily without having to get it shipped to the shop.

You should provide parts to the shop instead of having them buy them for you. They usually have a pretty steep surcharge rate over just purchasing the parts. (Sometimes they cost twice as much!)

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I did it in my old 96 vulcan in 5 minutes, it basically sits right under the rear exhaust manifold... One bolt and yank it out, put the new one in and tighten the bold and hook er up...

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is why a good mechanic at a dealership can make a good living. He can make 12 to 16 billable hrs in an 8 hr day. It is hard on the customer to pay 90.00 hr to the dealership. The dealership has more mechanics fresh out of tech school that are no better than the average shade tree guy (or much worse) but plenty of parts and tools to throw at a problem.

Any Repair Shop or Dealership that uses "Flat Rate" pay for the techs should be using one of the labor guides to price a repair.
Every dealership is different but most have thier techs on a skill level system so the guy right out of school with 2 years exp. won't be given a transmission to overhaul etc.
We are a small dealership but our 4 master techs range from 15 - 32 years exp. I have seen some dealerships who have techs fresh out of school doing the extremely hard stuff so I feel ya on that one....

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Hmm! Shop's favorite money maker is to charge you $80 for a fuel filter replacement. They are all frauds to the little old lady! However I don't blame the poor underpaid technician gett'n $12 an hour for the dirty work whilst his shop is charging his work at $100 an hour!
No, their favorite has to be the heater core replacement shortcut and bill out for whole dashboard R&R...

·
Registered
69 Posts
1997 Taurus G 3.0 Vulcan OHV. Took me 10 minutes to find it and rip out the heat shield, 10 minutes to pull the old one, 2 minutes to replace the gear on the new Ford unit, 10 minutes to put the new one in (way too anal to admit), 5 minutes to replace heat shield, and 5 minutes of prayer before I drove the car around the block.

Next time, probably 10 minutes to jerk the old one out and stab the new one, now that I know I'm not going to do something catastrophic...

·
Registered
1 Posts
new here,.....looked for speedo issue .no not that kind.....ewwwww. 2000 Taurus,mine is on top of trans.,under a cover with a long wire hooked to it....took about 1/2-1hr to take out and install.(from above)...no speed gear on it......has issues with speedo not working and no shifting....daughter drove it and had problems but not always does it....could still be speed sensor?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts