Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just acquired an MT-5 w/4 cyl. and a stick (wouldn't buy it without a stick), and I just want to see what I can do with this engine for fun. Any ideas?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had the thought that with all of the extra room under the hood you might be able to do an engine rebuild, turbo, and intercooler.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I have always wondered if the 2.5 4 banger block could handle a forced induction setup. 2.5 ltr is a good sized 4 cyl anyway. Hey, the V6 duratec comes in a 2.5

-Dan

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Yeah, for a 4 banger, thats a big displacement - yet there's plenty of clearance under the hood to do like what the other guys here have said. Also, being that its a Gen1, it probably doesn't have as much complicated electronics that make adjustments to the system, so the tuning might be a simpler job.

BTW, just curious - anyone know if the 4 cylinder design was used in any other car? Ford isn't particularly known for designing 4 cylinder engines, so it might be a mazda product (was ford already in relations with mazda by that time? *shrugs*), or some other company. If there is, there's a possibility of using upgrade parts for those cars and making simple modifications to fit it into your engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas so far. Also, any idea where this engine came from? I don't know of any other products Ford put this engine in, and it's bigger than exactly half of a 302, it's a pushrod I don't think it's a stroked 2.3, and it doesn't seem like an application Ford would make a whole new engine for, and use a whole new engine like this in just one product.

As for upgrades, it looks like I'm going to have to do alot of work to find anything. I guess that's what makes these kinds of projects so much fun. I might have to make my own dual exhaust (that'll be interesting to figure out).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 98 Ranger with a 2.5 Liter 4. I hear its pretty durable, but it only makes 117 HP. Nothing impressive, but it works.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That engine was a hacksaw job of the old 3.3 liter Falcon/Mustang six cylinder engine. Ford lopped off two cylinders and made a 4.
I don't know too much more about it, though...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
fyi the svo 2.4L is not the same engine and it is layed out completely different

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know the Ranger had a 2.5 for a bit, but that's a stroked 2.3, and I'm wanting to stay w/the original type 2.5 (in '91 the output went up to 105 hp and 140 lb/ft, so maybe I'll put that engine in to start). If you lop two cyl. off the 3.3 you'd get a 2.2. Did they stroke it from there? I thought the SVO was a 2.3, not 2.4? Anybody know of any heads that fit without to much modifying? Also, any ideas about an exhaust that would sound good? I'm looking for more of a Bimmer sound, not a rice boys sound. Any more ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
That would be hard to accomplish - but most certainly its going to be a single outlet, large pipe setup. I think 2.25" is a good diameter for a mandrel bent exhaust system, leading to a straight-through muffler in the end (that's what I've seen as the "up" size for the exhausts on the 2.5L subbies). All of this goes out the window if you want to try a home-made turbo project (maybe get a small turbo from the junkyard, out of a volvo, or Saab or something?).

Some simple modifications that you can probably do yourself are to port and polish the heads and open up the intake via a cone in the fender or something - should be a good combination for the larger exhaust.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
the svo is over head cam and your is pushrod i believe
check the ranger forums for help

·
Registered
162 Posts
The last time I saw a 2.5L Taurus the engine looked just like the 2.3L HSC found in the earlier Tempo/Topaz lines, just larger. Both were OHV valve engines, slower than dog crap, and had nothing at all in common with a 2.0L/2.3L/2.5L Lima which was the SOHC engine ford used in the Rangers (up to 01) and in earlier Stangs, Pintos, and what-ever else they could stick it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
bskouby is correct.
the 2.5 in the taurus is the tempo/topaz engine with a different crank.
check out www.tempotopaz.com. it has engine specs and stuff.

NOTE THE 2.5 IS PUSHROD. NO RESEMBELANCE TO RANGER OR MUSTAND OHC ENGINES!!!!!!!!!!

-AJ-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmmm..... decisions, decisions. I wonder if I could get a BMW exhaust/muffler onto my car? I'm leary of putting a diesels' turbo onto this engine, they're made for high psi and heavy exhaust (major turbo lag on a gas engine and the high psi would probably break my block). I like the 2.25" exhaust idea, should be good for the future turbo. The turbo in the t-bird was the ohc, right? Any idea's about heads? Intakes? Chips? I'm still looking! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2001 Ford Mustang. 2005 Harley Deluxe. 2016 Freightliber Cascadia.
326 Posts
Welcome to the club, I also have an MT-5 and I'm picking up another one tomorrow since I blew the engine in mine(piston rings). Mine was the hopped up 2.3 though, but the new engine going in is the 2.5. I'm going to port and polish the head fromt he 2.3 to put on there. There are some things you can do to them, but not a whole lot at this time. I believe Bob, has some phenolic spacers. I plan on making a few things for my car and when I do I'll be making posts. Here is a link to my car.

http://members.cardomain.com/fantacmet

Just PM me for any additional pieces of info.

Michael

P.S.
I'd be glad to give you any help I can. And to whomever asked, the 2.5 in the Taurus is also used in some Tempo's and was derived from the old Pinto Engine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts