Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, as stated in my post, I have a 2.5" Cone K&N filter installed in my Taurus. I am just wondering, it seems like I have lost gas mileage, and I can't tell if she is any quicker. Should it be a little faster? I can tell a difference in sound bigtime!!! I like the sound.

Thanks
adam

G

·
Depends on how you have it set up. Is it drawing air from the inner engine compartment? If so, you will have a lag, more then a performance pull. I would recommend on ordering one of my CAI. Look at the FOR SALE section of the forum, there are posted prices and pics of the setup. Let me know what you think.

I remember when I had the Short Ram Intake from Draxas, worked out cool during winter times, but when the Summer hit, Big Lag in performance... You might wanna switch over to my setup.

Sal

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Even with the filter near the engine (WAI), I still saw a small gain in performance. And this was in the summer time (not Cali warm, NY warm).

How do you have yours set up?? If you have a cone filter on than I "assume" you have a MAF adapter to put the filter on and remove the stock airbox.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I removed the whole airbox, but I left the snorkel to see if it would draw in any fresh air. I love the sound the cone makes. Should I be getting better gas mileage from the K&N Cone filter?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I started a similar thread and I was also wondering what the best setup for a vulcan would be on a cone filter setup. I would also like the sound and such and good gas mileage. I have a 95 vulcan though. What is the suggested cone filter setup for the gen 2 vulcan?

·
Registered
31 Posts
What a mess. For me, it all started at the NHRA K&N Supernationals. the K&N truck was there and i got a cone for $30. Then when i couldnt find a MAF adaptor, i had a guy at the local machine shop make me one. When i finally got the cone on the car, the sound was incredible, but i instantly noticed a slight hesitation in acceleration. Eventually it just got worse until the check engine light came on and the smell of unburned fuel in the cat was overwhelming. Having the luxury of working at a dealership, i plugged in a scanner and the codes said both bank one and two were running too rich. The car was losing power and the mileage was terrible. I put the airbox back on and reset the light and everything is normal again. IF ANYBODY KNOWS ANYTHING TO HELP ME OUT PLEASE RESPOND OR E-MAIL ME AT [email protected]
By the way, the cone was mounted behind the battery with a heat shield on the firewall side of the cone.

·
Registered
517 Posts
you have to reset your comp it has to compensate or the extra air coming in... just leave your battery disconected for about 15min the fire it up and let it idol for about 5min then drive it under regular use shut it off and you are all done..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Appreciate the info cammer, but if the computer wasn't compensating, how come the engine was running rich and not lean?

·
Registered
517 Posts
all of it.. i think ..i think that eack bank is one side of the motor and it said both 1 & 2 so id say all 6 were at least a little rich...

just remember any time you do any mod that will improve performance to reset the computer...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well cammer, i tried that last night and sure enough the check engine light went on again so i had to take it back off. thanks anyway but i think i just need a CAI

·
Registered
230 Posts
K&N filters are oil impregnated so they can filter all the bad crap out, this oil can come off the filter and coat your MAF wires, try cleaning them and that should help. if not, then take the cone off, put the stock airbox back in and see if you still have a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts