Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know whether or not i would be able to fit 2 12" subs in an enclosure that fills in the little cubby hole right behind the back seats in a Gen IV sedan? I have used 10's before, but my wife is buying me 2 12's, if they will fit, and i want to box to slide in that spot, so i can still get to my spare tire easily. please let me knwo if you know for a fact that this has been done, or if you have pcs of it, i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Yes, can and has been done. Look at my garage... though the 12s are slid toward the rear, the box does slide behind the seat.

BTW, they are older pics, but still shows. 1.1 cu ft pre 12"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, thanks for the pics, i guess i am upgrading to 12's!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Yep, I have a setup similar to acreature's (2 12s firing toward the rear) and it is a very nice fit. I have just enough room in front of the box (behind the seat) to stow my battery, and jumper cables, tools, etc. This leaves the most accessable part of the trunk free for hauling groceries, luggage, and other cargo.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry to jump in on your thread boominbull, but I was wondering if it is best to have the subs facing to the rear in our cars. I have 2 10" Kenwoods in a bandpass box. Does it matter wich way they go?????

·
Registered
746 Posts
sub placement is very vehicle dependent, but in a trunked car the best set up is pretty much always against the back seat firing towards the rear of the car, or as far to the rear of the car as possible firing towards the cab.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SixFoFalcon:

you said you have a little space behind your box to place your amp, what i am asking is if a box built to fit all the way slid back( built in the barn-shape of the small section of the trunk) would be able to hold 2 12's. but i see what you are saying, and if i have to i will do that then. thanks

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I see what you are saying. If I trimmed the corners off my box, it would clear the sloped edges of the rear deck cross-brace.

My box is pretty small (my EXACTs have very low box volume requirements) and I don't think you'd be able to go much smaller. So in a typical rectangular profile, I don't know that you'd be able to slide the box under there. If you did a trapezoidal (truncated) box that had an angled panel for the subs (like a truck or hatchback-style box) you'd be able to cut down on that dimension and fit it in there. However, that would make building a properly-tuned enclosure much more difficult. The same is true for just sloping the top corners of the box so it clears the cross-brace--it would fit fine, but it might not sound as good.

In my case, it's pretty much irrelevant, as I need the space behind the seat for my battery. :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon@Sep 27 2004, 01:34 PM
I see what you are saying.  If I trimmed the corners off my box, it would clear the sloped edges of the rear deck cross-brace. 

My box is pretty small (my EXACTs have very low box volume requirements) and I don't think you'd be able to go much smaller.  So in a typical rectangular profile, I don't know that you'd be able to slide the box under there.  If you did a trapezoidal (truncated) box that had an angled panel for the subs (like a truck or hatchback-style box) you'd be able to cut down on that dimension and fit it in there.  However, that would make building a properly-tuned enclosure much more difficult.  The same is true for just sloping the top corners of the box so it clears the cross-brace--it would fit fine, but it might not sound as good. 

In my case, it's pretty much irrelevant, as I need the space behind the seat for my battery.  :)
You mean a box like this? My choice of facing the speakers towards the cab is mostly due to me usually having my tool boxes and other sharp and pointy objects in the trunk which would make unpleasant love with my subs. :lol: If you were wondering.... they are 15's. :D I designed it to fit in the smallest space possible, as far up as possible, and of course within spec for these subs. :banana:

Attachments

G

·
I have 2 12's in my gen 4 that pretty much fit in that little space you are talking about. It would fit better if I didn't mount my amp on top the box. I also have them facing out toward the trunk lid. I don't really like it when I have to put sharp stuff and whatnot in the trunk like Xavier was describing, but I haven't had any problems yet... knock on wood. ;)

Can't find any pics right now, but I'll post one if I can find them. :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Sep 27 2004, 09:36 PM
I have 2 12's in my gen 4 that pretty much fit in that little space you are talking about. It would fit better if I didn't mount my amp on top the box. I also have them facing out toward the trunk lid. I don't really like it when I have to put sharp stuff and whatnot in the trunk like Xavier was describing, but I haven't had any problems yet... knock on wood. ;)

Can't find any pics right now, but I'll post one if I can find them. :)
You should see the scrapes on my amps and cap. :lol:

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I have two tens in mine (one is my friends im just borrowing it), I find it sounds best at the far back pointing outwards with the back seats down

hope you like the bungie job, I made good use of those hook things

the amp isnt mounted, but the ground wire keeps it from going too far, it stays pretty much in its spot

oh, also, that padding between the speakers came from behind the trunk cloth material
http://www.saucepolicy.com/images/DSC01380%20(Small).JPG' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]
[url=http://www.saucepolicy.com/images/DSC01373%20(Small).JPG][img]http://www.saucepolicy.com/images/DSC01373%20(Small).JPG' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by Xmann01+Sep 27 2004, 10:10 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Xmann01 @ Sep 27 2004, 10:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-SixFoFalcon@Sep 27 2004, 01:34 PM
I see what you are saying.  If I trimmed the corners off my box, it would clear the sloped edges of the rear deck cross-brace. 

My box is pretty small (my EXACTs have very low box volume requirements) and I don't think you'd be able to go much smaller.  So in a typical rectangular profile, I don't know that you'd be able to slide the box under there.  If you did a trapezoidal (truncated) box that had an angled panel for the subs (like a truck or hatchback-style box) you'd be able to cut down on that dimension and fit it in there.  However, that would make building a properly-tuned enclosure much more difficult.  The same is true for just sloping the top corners of the box so it clears the cross-brace--it would fit fine, but it might not sound as good. 

In my case, it's pretty much irrelevant, as I need the space behind the seat for my battery.  :)
You mean a box like this? My choice of facing the speakers towards the cab is mostly due to me usually having my tool boxes and other sharp and pointy objects in the trunk which would make unpleasant love with my subs. :lol: If you were wondering.... they are 15's. :D I designed it to fit in the smallest space possible, as far up as possible, and of course within spec for these subs. :banana:[/b][/quote]
Yeah, pretty much. That's about the only way you're going to get a pair of 12s or 15s under that cross-brace unless you go away from "conventional" boxes, or if your box is just barely bigger than the subs themselves (which be not good). :)

BTW, you guys ever hear of grilles? :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by SixFoFalcon+Sep 28 2004, 08:00 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SixFoFalcon @ Sep 28 2004, 08:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2004, 10:10 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-SixFoFalcon
@Sep 27 2004, 01:34 PM

You mean a box like this? My choice of facing the speakers towards the cab is mostly due to me usually having my tool boxes and other sharp and pointy objects in the trunk which would make unpleasant love with my subs. :lol: If you were wondering.... they are 15's. :D I designed it to fit in the smallest space possible, as far up as possible, and of course within spec for these subs. :banana:
Yeah, pretty much. That's about the only way you're going to get a pair of 12s or 15s under that cross-brace unless you go away from "conventional" boxes, or if your box is just barely bigger than the subs themselves (which be not good). :)

BTW, you guys ever hear of grilles? :) [/b][/quote]
I don't really see a need for one.... I like the setup like that. Keeps everything clean simple and out of the way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts