Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyones Vulcan shift at mine shifted at 5900 rpms today i just noticed that when i was doing my 0-60 video...Is that normal but i just had the tranny rebuilt...

J

·
0 Posts
That seems a bit high for a vulcan. Mine will go out to about 5200-5300....

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by j0rd4n@Oct 18 2004, 11:32 PM
wow...wish mine would shift that high :)
Disconnect your batter for an hour, reconnect it, start the car and go run it hard and it probably will shift higher. :) That makes the adaptive tranny forget what it's learned. If you drive it hard and ride the gears out all the time, it'll be more willing to do it, if you don't, it won't. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225+Oct 18 2004, 10:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jason8225 @ Oct 18 2004, 10:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j0rd4n@Oct 18 2004, 11:32 PM
wow...wish mine would shift that high :)
Disconnect your batter for an hour, reconnect it, start the car and go run it hard and it probably will shift higher. :) That makes the adaptive tranny forget what it's learned. If you drive it hard and ride the gears out all the time, it'll be more willing to do it, if you don't, it won't. ;) [/b][/quote]
already tried it, heh...no matter how hard i ride it after reset, it never seems to go above 5100

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Isn't Vulcan redline 5250 RPM or something?(can't remember)
Are you sure you're hitting 5900? I wouldn't keep doing it if you are. Sure the Vulcan is tough, but it won't last long up there.
I can take it up to about 5300 at most, but I don't try to go that high too often. That's what the SHO's for--though I'm always scared of breaking something else when I do.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Disconnect the battery and drive it like a manual, shift it where you want it to shift (you dont have to race the crap out of it, you can slowly accelerate to a high rpm). Then put it in drive and hammer it a few times...I've gotten the best results that way so far.

As for shifts my care usually shifts around 5700rpms, but if i hammer it on some days (good weather) It'll rev out to 6200, I've even had a few 6,700 rpm shifts. I've got a couple video clips of the 6200rpm shifts, I have yet to catch the 6700rpm fun tho.... This is all on my duratec...

I had a '93 Vulcan (no tach) and my grandma has a 98 vulcan... Hers usually shifts in the mid 5,000 range.....its a AX4N. Maybe the shift points are a tad different between the AX4S, AXOD, and AX4N? If I remember right the AX4N had a revised piston which helped shifts.....even tho In my opinion is still flakey (which is why my new boost valve is in the mail :) )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts