Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
High revving screwing my tranny!

Hi! I'm brand new to the world of Taurus! I recently purchased a 95 Taurus with a 3.0 V6 (I think it's the Vulcan... maybe?) from a scrapper. The car ran fine and started after a whole Albertan winter!

I have been having some tranny issues though, and I thought I may get some insight as to what to do next. I'm a little car savvy, although I need help locating things and with troubleshooting.

The wagon was hesitating then lurching from first to 2nd, and every time I put it into Reverse it shifted HARD. Eventually the transmission blew and I was stuck in 2nd (emergency mode from what I've been told)
I've rebuilt the transmission (bloody hell, $1500) and the tran guys said it was caused by two things.

First was that both motor mounts were toast, which they were. I've had those replaced now as well. Once this was done, it eliminated the reversing lurch, but the 1st to 2nd is still not great. (Improved though)

Second, they claimed that a high idle was also a culprit as the engine was revving to high when the gears would shift, which caused hesitation and then a "thunk" into gear. I had a friend look at it, and he said that the knob to turn down/up the idle was all the way down, so it's not the first time it's been an issue (I'm assuming).

So what I'm wondering is if it's possible that a sensor has gone bad (I.E. throttle sensor, but I hope not). I'm limited with available funding so I want to try and hit the right thing on the first or 2nd shot. I've been told as well that it may be an issue with the vacuum sensor.

I have no lights on that would indicate a problem and when the tran guys coded the engine it only came up with the transmission gear errors, which are now not showing up.

Any forsight as to what might be the problem?

·
Registered
23,637 Posts
Might clean/replace iac (idle air control). Silvery looking cannister with black plastic cap and elec. conn. sitting on top of the manifold near the throttle body. May remove and try cleaning with throttle body/air intake spray cleaner first, as they are a little pricey ($50) to replace. Good luck. Check for vacuum leaks (hoses, etc.) also.

·
Super Moderator
8,766 Posts
There is no "knob to turn the idle up and down". Idle speed is electronically controlled by the IAC sheila is speaking of.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I had a friend look at it, and he said that the knob to turn down/up the idle was all the way down, so it's not the first time it's been an issue (I'm assuming).
As it was said there is no such "knob". The idle rpm is controlled directly by PCM via the IAC valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, so I've taken off and cleaned the IAC thoroughly, but the problem remains. It's progressively getting worse, as it did before the tranny failed the first time. I'm starting to think that this IAC may not be the problem. Checked vacuum lines, everything seems tickity-boo!

And thanks to the posts so far, I thought the black plastic thing on my IAC was a manual knob, as some vehicles have a screw you can play with to lower/raise your idle.

·
Super Moderator
8,766 Posts
Before you replace the TPS, measure the closed throttle output TPS voltage (between black and green wires). Under 1 V TPS is not the problem, over 1 V, replace TPS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts