Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i start school today (jan 12th) for automotive service tech i am really nervous and dont really know what to expect i feel very overwhelmed cause i have not had time to get alot of my stuff sorted out... i dont even have my books yet...
just curious what your first days were like i have never been good with groups of people so i hope i dont have a huge class

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
ehh, its not too bad. I just went to class, met people, ate lunch, more class, then went to the dorms. I'm not a very social person, but its not hard to strike up a conversation with somebody, esp if you have something in common (such as auto service tech for you)

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
My first day of college: Showed up for an 8am class 20 mins early. That never, EVER happened again.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
You're damn right I am! :banana:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
First actual day of school was pretty uneventful... Went to the only 8am class of the entire semester... It's not school so much that's the hard part, it's the social aspect!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Went to class, went to next class, ate lunch, went to next class, went home. Repeat.
I live at home and commute, so no eventful dorm life or anything.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I moved in on a friday. Freshies were asked to park their cars in one of the administration lots. I was so busy over the weekend that I didn't have time to move the car. By tuesday or wednesday when I went to move the car, I had no idea where it was.

Almost every class period for english 101, I would use the excuse car trouble. The prof knew I lived on campus but was never bothered by it or took points off.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I've never once showed up for the first day of class with books..I always wait until I have the syllabus for everything and the professor clarifies exactly what I need. I'm a senior and that strategy has never failed me - and it's saved some cash. The library has everything if I need one before I have my own.

My first day of freshman year my roommate never showed up. I ended up living with a nightmare for a while until I convinced them I should move, and ended up in a single.

I have an awesome, enormous single room now. It's like an apartment but cheaper, and being in Meadville, a lot nicer than nearby off-campus housing. B)

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well just got home... pretty uneventful other than tons of snow on the way there. found out i am taking all of the same classes as one of the people that i graduated highschool with so that made it easier. i think the part that made me so nervous is that i did not know what to expect not as bad a s i thought still dont want to go back tomorrow lol but i have never liked school i get buy all sorts of tools tomorrow though yay!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I always get anxious on the first day of school even though I've been going to school for the last 17 years. You'd think I'd be used to it. It hasn't been as bad in the last few semesters since I'm now an upper-level undergrad and I pretty much know most of the profs in the department, but I still get anxious the first week. It's usually uneventful.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
This term I got signed into two grad courses to give me 4th year undergrad credits, because I couldn't seem to get them any other way.

So, I arrived half an hour early for the seminar, having read all of the required and recommended readings and made notes on everything. I figured grad students are pretty serious so I better represent.

I was the only one there until 5 minutes before class started. :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
My first day of college...

I started several days early, because I took a three-day course in Materials Engineering, back when I wanted to be an engineer (somehow, even without an engineering degree, I am, though). So, I moved in on a Sunday, which was four days before most people. My roommate moved in on the same day, as there was a Jewish holiday that week, and Jewish students were allowed to move in at the same time to avoid the conflict. Bear in mind, though, that my roommate wasn't Jewish, but his father was, albeit, nonpracticing, so he used that to his advantage.

The first thing his father said, after introductions and noting my Playstation, was that we should throw that out, as we're here to learn, not play games.

As it turns out, I ended up with a 3.8 at the end of that first year, and his darling boy ended with a 2.3...but I digress. He, and his entire family, were nightmares. He was a psychopathic douchebag with delusions of grandeur, and a Napoleon complex.

As it turns out, though, a guy I graduated high school with, and was very good friends with, moved in two doors down from me, as he was in Navy ROTC, and I met the guy that would eventually be best man at my wedding, who lived across the hall.

This term I got signed into two grad courses to give me 4th year undergrad credits, because I couldn't seem to get them any other way.

So, I arrived half an hour early for the seminar, having read all of the required and recommended readings and made notes on everything. I figured grad students are pretty serious so I better represent.

I was the only one there until 5 minutes before class started. :lol:
[/b]
Speaking as a current grad student, albeit an online grad student, most of them couldn't care less (at least that's in the US). The only serious grad students are the tools that are in grad school for creative writing, who wear mock turtlenecks because Steve Jobs does, and mock anyone who doesn't have the latest Macbook. ...or, guys like me who have their company paying for it, and have to repay that $3k/class if they don't get a "B".

JR

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Pretty uneventful, but guaranteed I was there early ---- I got a ride w/ my father since he was an American History Professor at Penn State (now retired). It was nice at first, since I got to park in the Special Parking area right at the main bldgs. That was back in 1985 though!

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
My first day of college was last semester. I'm 32 taking night classes offered at the high school one town over. I arrived to a packed class room, so I grabbed a stool and sat at the lab tables in the back. I counted the girl/boy ratio, almost 2:1. It's a little weird being one of the oldest people in the class, but I'm not complaining about being surrounded by a bunch of 19yr old girls. I do get kinda irritated when the kids are spending more time text messaging on their phones instead of paying attention to the instructor... then they complain about making 50s and 60s on the tests.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts