Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at the "mycolor" feature on new fords and got jealous and after checking some other forums and how to guides I decided to add this to my car. Passing on cupholder lights for now, may come back to it later. Already ordered two set of LEDs, these to be exact

Expect to get them this week and put them in and post pics this weekend. Hopefully will turn out nice and add a lot to the interior. Since the LEDs are 12v, they'll run off the battery no problem. I'm thinking I'll hook them up to the fuse box using an unused slot.

Next on the list- whiteface gauges from shoshop and centennial headlights

heres the threads I read for basic info
LED Ambient Footwell Lighting... - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums
DIY: Interior LED install (vents, center console, cupholders) : Altima Coupe

·
Registered
260 Posts
Like mine? They're actually a pure white, no where near as blue as the camera makes it out to be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah! That's exactly what I'm shooting for except I only plan on doing the front seats for now. How did you wire yours up?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I prewired mine for it when I installed my alarm. But to power the LEDs I used the door triggers as a ground and they are wired to a constant +12v. With this, the front LEDs turn on with any of the front doors and the rear LEDs turn on with any of the rear doors. When you wire to the door triggers I would advise using a diode to prevent any backfeed to the wires and set an alarm off or so that you don't get the 'door ajar' light on constantly, but this only happens in some cases, not all. I need to do the overhead light next b/c the yellow just doesn't match the theme of the car, white headlights, white projector shroud, white floor lights, and white trunk light; was hoping to eventually get to white dash face, but not putting anymore money into the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dont have any pictures right now but I added some blue leds to the front footwells. Its a pretty cheap setup (the only cost was the 20 dollar leds from autozone and a roll of electric tape) but it looks great at night. The leds plug into your cigarette lighter and are turned on and off by a switch on the back of the plug in. Lucky for me I have a second cigarette lighter hidden away under the trim at the bottom so theres almost no way to tell theyre there if they arent lit up. The 4 leds came on separate wires that all lead to the plug in. All I had to do was decide where I wanted to put them for the best light effect and then tape them down securely with the electric tape. Then just bundle the extra wiring and zip tie it together so you can tape it up under the trim near the cigarette lighter plug in. I ended up putting 3 up on the drivers side and 1 on the passengers and it still looks even with both sides bright enough to look good but dim enough so you cant see them from the outside without looking straight into the window. Again its a really cheap setup but it works without removing the trim and drilling holes or anything.

http://img839.imageshack.us/i/downsizec.jpg/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I finally got mine wired up. I hooked it up to the wire for the taillights so the LEDs come on when I have the parking lights on, headlights on, or unlock the doors. Looks pretty cool

·
Registered
224 Posts
lookls great!...ya think you can hook them up to your headights so when you have the headlights on they are on? so basically on during nightime driving?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lookls great!...ya think you can hook them up to your headights so when you have the headlights on they are on? so basically on during nightime driving?
since they're hooked up to the taillights they come on when i unlock the car, have the parking lights on or the headlights.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ok cool....i dont have the feature when i unlock the doors the lights go on...just the puddle lamps...so will it still work?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok cool....i dont have the feature when i unlock the doors the lights go on...just the puddle lamps...so will it still work?
If the taillights don't turn on when you unlock it and thats the way you choose to wire the LEDs they won't turn on when you unlock it. They'll still come on when you have the parking lights or headlights on though. I can take pictures of what I did if you want.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used one string for each well. The driver's side is held on with zip ties and the passenger with double sided sticky stuff for putting a bulletin board up.

I don't know about other generations, but for the g4 the brown wire in the trunk in for the taillights.

First thing I did was tap the wire for the taillights.

Next I ran that wire all the way from the trunk to the driver's wheelwell. I went under the back of the rear seat and under the rocker panel(?)

The LEDs are wired in parallel like this:

Here is the mounted drivers side

Passenger

And a video of it working

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you please send me a message about where you got those? They look like theyre still really bright even during the day (at least it looks like its during the day in the video) and with the ones I have now you can only see them at night. They dont show up at all with even a little light from outside the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I prewired mine for it when I installed my alarm. But to power the LEDs I used the door triggers as a ground and they are wired to a constant +12v. With this, the front LEDs turn on with any of the front doors and the rear LEDs turn on with any of the rear doors. When you wire to the door triggers I would advise using a diode to prevent any backfeed to the wires and set an alarm off or so that you don't get the 'door ajar' light on constantly, but this only happens in some cases, not all. I need to do the overhead light next b/c the yellow just doesn't match the theme of the car, white headlights, white projector shroud, white floor lights, and white trunk light; was hoping to eventually get to white dash face, but not putting anymore money into the car.
can you tell me in detail how? I'd like to do something with my SES, thanks
ps wiring digram?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts