Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to access my cabin air filter and when I tried to remove the passenger side windshield cowl, I broke off two of the four retaining screws before deciding to call it a day.

Hood Window Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Car Vehicle Plant Hood Automotive tire

Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Electric blue Automotive wheel system

Circle Tints and shades Gas Cylinder Audio equipment

The UV light from sunshine ages these so the heads literally slid off with very little force being applied.
You needs a total of 7 if you are going to change both the left and right side cowl retainer screws.

Product Camera accessory Font Bicycle part Tool

They are plastic Phillips head screws with an extremely flat head. A quick search shows that they are available from several sources.

CFK-1218-96 - Cowl Fastener
Cowl Fastener
This cowl fastener kit comes complete in a 7-piece kit.
Listed Applications
1996 - 2002 Ford - Taurus - 4 Door Sedan
1996 - 2002 Mercury - Sable - 4 Door Sedan

Precision Replacement Parts
List Price US$9.76
https://www.prp.com/product/detail/103301

PGW Autoglass
PGW Auto Glass: Sundry Catalog Search

JEGS
Part Number: 757-CFK-1218-96
USD6.49
Precision CFK-1218-96: 4 DR SEDAN - COWL FASTENE - JEGS High Performance

Summit
US$5.99
Special Order
Weatherstrip Seal Fasteners - CFK-1218-96 KEYWORD - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

It sounds like they may be available from other big chain automotive stores, but where I live, they don't tend to stock much.

I know these have been talked about over the years, but I thought I would post with part numbers, so you can ask around for a specific part.
Goodness knows, they may be available from Ford, but up here in Canada, Ford wants to become intimate with you when it comes to pricing.

And of course, online, they are going to scalp you for shipping. Oh well.

Regards

Dale

1 - 2 of 2 Posts