Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a low mileage 2000 engine for my 1999 wagon. What if any modifications will I need to make if I buy this engine. I see in engine swap info it will work just want to make sure before I buy.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The only thing that I can think of is that the Gen IV water pump was on the back side of the motor, whereas on the Gen III, it was on the front. Also, the Gen IV has oval port intake runners, whereas the LIM on the Gen III has butterflies, so you'd likely need the Gen IV PCM to tune the car properly. Because of the different PCM, and having PATS, you'd need to get the dealer to program the PATS module to talk to the PCM.

PM Spridget...he's the resident Duratec swapping master.

JR

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
The 2000 Duratec is an oddball. It's the only year with oval intake ports and a front mounted water pump. The heads are specific to 2000's only.

Swapping the entire 2000 engine would not be terribly difficult, but it will require some customizing. Like JR mentioned, programming will be the main issue. The '99 is setup for IMRC and the fuel map is different. With the 2000 engine and '99 programming, the engine will feel a bit sluggish to 3500rpm, then it will really take off. The next big issue is fuel delivery. The '99 has a return system, 2 fuel line to the fuel rail, while the '00 has returnless system, only 1 fuel line to the rail. The '99 exhaust manifolds will need to be reused to fit the car's y-pipe.

Next option would be to use the '00 block with '99 heads and intake. The short blocks are the same. Head bolts must be replaced with new once they are loosened.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2000 Duratec is an oddball. It's the only year with oval intake ports and a front mounted water pump. The heads are specific to 2000's only.

Swapping the entire 2000 engine would not be terribly difficult, but it will require some customizing. Like JR mentioned, programming will be the main issue. The '99 is setup for IMRC and the fuel map is different. With the 2000 engine and '99 programming, the engine will feel a bit sluggish to 3500rpm, then it will really take off. The next big issue is fuel delivery. The '99 has a return system, 2 fuel line to the fuel rail, while the '00 has returnless system, only 1 fuel line to the rail. The '99 exhaust manifolds will need to be reused to fit the car's y-pipe.

Next option would be to use the '00 block with '99 heads and intake. The short blocks are the same. Head bolts must be replaced with new once they are loosened.
[/b]
So what if you were to swap fuel rails or are they not compatable with the 2000 heads? I am glad I asked my first experience with a Taurus and modern technology. My hobby cars have carbs, and distributors. I think I will keep looking for a 99 with low miles. Dam motor only had 25K but not worth the hassle. Thanks for the help guys,

Van

1 - 5 of 5 Posts